Dry Erase Marker/Eraser Holder

Anyone care to critique/review this design before I test it out on the laser cutter? I’m pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing…

I used makercase.com to get the rough design outline… the only thing that doesn’t look quite right to me is where the pieces are laid next to each other… isn’t there going to be a bunch of small pieces cut out as waste? Could the pieces be pushed together where they align so there’s only one cut between pieces? Or maybe that removes too much material and the box doesn’t fit snugly together if you do it that way?

I also have a logo that I might try to throw on one of the box faces and etch in…

Thanks for the feedback.

DryEraseHolder

1 Like

It looks good to me. There is a plug-in for inkscape that will generate these boxes also. You can set the gap using the plug in. But I think yours will probably work fine.

Cool. I do push my tabbed box parts together but it’s mostly to save cut time, not material, like on this design I’d push together the long horizontal top and sides because look it’s making the same cut twice, they can share that horizontal zigzag line. None of the plugins ever seem to do that right.

When I make laser tabbed boxes I’m too lazy to consider the beam width so my pieces all need glued together. In Doug’s woodworking pencil box class we made friction fit tabs, really interesting, I’m sure you could do that with the laser if you want to be picky.

1 Like

Yeah, the reason the aren’t nested is so that the tool can adjust for the kerf width and make the pieces fit better.