Drone Pilot (FAA 107) Training

In addition to being an experienced Ham Radio Instructor, I’m also an FAA Certified Flight Instructor with an FAA 107 license.

I’ve been discussing doing a FAA Part 107 license course. If you fly a drone (UAV) that weighs 250 grams (0.55 lbs) or more, you need a UAS license (107) to fly it in most locations.

I’m thinking of offering 2 versions of the class:

One would be for people who already have an FAA Pilot certificate - they know the basics of maps, aviation weather and FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations)

One for non-pilots, you would be taught how to read aeronautical charts, understand airspace, read aviation weather reports, and other general aviation rules.

Part of the course would involve not only the “classroom” things you need to know to pass the FAA 107 written exam, but also some practical experience in the field flying drones (your own or another under supervision). Unfortunately we can’t do that easily at the MakeICT facility, it’s essentially in a “no-fly zone” because of proximity to McConnell AFB and Cessna field. So, we’d do a field-trip to an area with no restrictions.

We would also discuss different drones, their characteristics and uses. “Recreational” vs other flying (basically any UAV flying you do that’s not strictly for your own enjoyment is NOT recreational).

If you’re interested comment to this posting or send me an e-mail at randy.reynard@makeict.org

Randy

5 Likes

I’m interested. I have a drone I haven’t flown in a few years - at the time the license wasn’t required but I knew they’d changed the regs and I haven’t kept up

3 Likes

I know very little about drones but would love to learn. Very interested in a class!

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. As soon as I see the level of interest, I’ll work on setting up a class. It’s going to take some development time.

3 Likes

Gemma, thanks for the response. It was good meeting you this evening. We’ll see how the interest goes. There’s going to be some course development involved so it’s not going to happen overnight.

3 Likes

I have a 15 year old that would probably be interested in this class. @Tobias778

1 Like

That would be ok. The minimum age for the license is 16 but there’s no harm in learning the materials before that.

2 Likes

I would sign up for this class, if my schedule permits.

2 Likes

I’m interested - probably won’t get into drone flying but I’m a pilot and I want to know what they know, so to speak. I’m a bit concerned about drones.

1 Like

I’m interested. I’m also a pilot but not current.

1 Like

Definitely interested. No experience at all.

1 Like

Interested!

···

On Wed, Jul 26, 2023, 19:03 Jeremy Blackburn via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| JBlackburn MakeICT Member
July 27 |

• | - |

Definitely interested. No experience at all.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

I’m encouraged by the response. Today, I started putting together the training, drawing from multiple resources including the FAA, Industry leaders, and my own experience as both a FAA 107 Licensed Remote Pilot and a Certified Flight Instructor / Advanced Ground Instructor with 48+ years of experience in the field. For over 20 years of that I was an FAA Volunteer Accident Prevention Counselor.

I have not yet determined how long the course will take, I’m thinking it will be between 12 and 15 classroom hours. Depending on student progress, it could go to 20. I’ve seen some HS and College syllabi that run it out to almost 50 hours, but I don’t think we need that much.

To be clear, once one is ready to take the test, you will signup with a certified testing center (there’s at least 1 in Wichita). They charge about $150-160 for the test. There are no other licensing fees at this time. When you pass the test and a TSA background check, you will receive an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate. It’s good for 2 years, after which you can renew it by taking an on-line “refresher test”.

For someone who’s already a pilot, much of the course will be a “refresher”. Elements covering Airspace, Weather, Sectional Charts (Map reading), etc. will be familiar to licensed pilots, they’re no more complicated that the basic Private Pilot Certificate topics on the same subjects. There are some subtleties with respect to UAS flying. I’ll also be up front and tell you, if you have a Pilot Certificate, a current medical and BFR, you only have to take the UAS test on the areas that don’t include the aviation basics. I’m actually surprised that the FAA Wings program doesn’t give credit for doing the UAS training since much of it covers topics included in their ongoing programs, but I don’t run the FAA, and anyone experienced in dealing with them will know it does no good to ask “why”. Remember, “they are from the FAA, they’re not happy until YOU’re not happy…”

I hope to have the program developed by the end of the weekend. I’ll let everyone know when I have it done and may solicit some review from any experienced aviators in the group.

Have a great evening. Fly safe (whether you’re IN the aircraft OR on the ground controlling it).

Randy

4 Likes

Ohhhhh I’m very very interested in both of these classes, I’ve always wanted to learn how to fly well anything but yes a drone. I’ve just never had the money to try to buy a drone.

I’ll have to see what you wind up charging, to know for sure if I’ll be able afford 12 hours of classes. But I’m definitely very interested if I can afford.

2 Likes

Now that we’ve completed the very successful Amateur Radio Courses, I have completed creating the Drone Pilot course and would like to get it on the calendar, but I want to get potential students’ feel for scheduling it. We need about 16 classroom hours. The cost would be $40 for MakeICT members.

Would you rather see:

1. A couple of 6-hour Saturday classes with one 4-hour evening class
  2. 2 4-hour Saturday morning classes and 2 4-hour evening classes
  3. 4 4-hour evening classes during the week
  4. Some other option - please comment with your ideas

Please vote your preferences in the poll below and if you have any questions e-mail me at randy.reynard@makeict.org.

Fly Safe!

Randy

1 Like

You can make a poll for that so it’s easier to keep track of responses. I created one for this time and I can teach you how if you like.

• A couple of 6-hour Saturday classes with one 4-hour evening class
  • 2 4-hour Saturday morning classes and 2 4-hour evening classes
  • 4 4-hour evening classes during the week
  • Some other option - please comment with your ideas
0 voters
2 Likes

Thanks, Malissa!

1 Like

Options 1 or 2 would work best for me, but it would depend if I already had other commitments on those days. I won’t be available for any scheduled Maker Monday or Orientation time, or any Thursday evening.

But I am so hyped to take this course.

So, as a complete beginner with drones, what would be a good first drone to purchase?

1 Like

Please vote for one in Malissa’s poll above.

Randy

1 Like

An additional option for classes would be 4 hours per evening, 2 evenings one week and 2 the following week. Like Tuesday and Thursday, consecutive weeks.

Thoughts?