Does anyone know of an affordable way to get blank t-shirts?

My sister is wanting to screen print shirts as band merch, and I thought I’d ask here if anyone knows a way to get around 20 to 50 half-decent shirts at a fairly cheap price.

1 Like

@doug.wilson

1 Like

Michaels has some pretty good prices on their shirts and often has coupons you can use to get them even cheaper.

2 Likes

There’s a small shop (Smokey Fashion) in town that sells t-shirts 3 for $10 (cash only). Located just west of 21st and Hillside in a small little strip mall.

···

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022, 9:57 PM Sherry Ibrahim via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Sherry MakeICT Vice President
November 10 |

• | - |

@doug.wilson

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

5 Likes

Try dharma trading co. they are a blank clothing company for artist. They have a catalogue with all sizes of shirts and other clothing. You get discounted when you buy in bulk. I think T-Shirts are something like $175 for a case of 72 mens heavy duty cotton T’s. That comes to less than $3.00 a shirt. Might even be cheaper since it’s youth shirts. You can get a free catalogue. https://www.dharmatrading.com

3 Likes

I use shirtmax.com

2 Likes

I’ve always used blankshirts.com

3 Likes

Here is a thought, since were are a non profit, maybe if you wrote an email to Fruit of the Loom or Haines asking them to donate T-shirts. I wrote a TY letter to Converse as a kiid for an English assignment and they sent me a gift certificate for a new pair of Converse high tops.

1 Like

Thank you guys so much for all your help, I will pass it on to my sister.

1 Like

That’s a slippery slope to avoid. Our non-profit status is not immune to scrutiny from government or 3rd party eyes. Anything that looks like members trying to milk that status beyond a responsible means could jeopardize the entire operation.

Donations should only be sought after with approval of leadership (area or committee leads, or members of the board).

2 Likes

If it’s for a school project that is not connected to makeict, just a member using the equipment do these rules still apply. This is all confusing. Some people run their own personal business or local non profit separate from makeict. Are they not allowed to ask for donations for their personal business or non profit or even school projects if they are a member of another non profit? These businesses or non profits are not part of makeict only the facilities are being used to produce, do the same rules apply? We just want to accomplish goals and funding for projects and materials since money and cost of those materials are the issue. The subject of donations and finding funds for projects and materials seem to be an issue lately. There was a discussion about it because Ceramics pooled together to buy a piece of equipment we’ve been wanting for years without getting leadership approval. There was no defined rule about what we did but it ruffled leaderships feathers. Could leadership please define the exact rules on this. If those in leadership positions don’t exactly know what the rules are concerning donations and raising funds then how in the world can you tell members what can and can’t be done? I’m not trying to be difficult but all of this is confusing if it’s not defined so we know what we can and can’t do.

1 Like

Based on the original post it sounds like Katie is looking for shirts for her sister to sell. And your post sounded like you were suggesting seeking a donation of shirts based on MakeICT’s non-profit status. Perhaps there is some misunderstanding, but that doesn’t sound like something that would be acceptable. I don’t think anyone is saying that people shouldn’t solicit donations on behalf of their own business just because they are a member of MakeICT.

5 Likes

Michelle - we definitely appreciate the efforts members undertake to help build and maintain the space. There are two separate potential concerns here so I’ll address them separately.

First - soliciting donations under MakeICT’s name for a personal project would be fraudulent. Donations solicited under our name or nonprofit status need to be for the organization itself. That is independent of MakeICT rules. Soliciting donations using your private business or other organizational name is fine.

Second - all donations of items to MakeICT are spelled out in the donations policy on the wiki. A primary point is the lead must approve the donations. All monetary donations need to go through the treasurer. The treasurer has to be central to communications so that the funds can be properly attributed, or they just go to the general fund. So he needs to know before funds start being collected and everyone needs to know how to label the donations so he can properly attribute them.

The gray area is pooling funds to purchase a donation via a member’s personal account. And frankly the only way to get an answer is for us to pay a tax attorney. The IRS does care about what we do, we are actually still waiting on resolution of an issue from years prior. They just haven’t returned a verdict.

We are working to simplify and clarify some finance issues on the wiki that haven’t been updated in years so it’s easier for everyone to understand.

We will have more time to clean up the policies if we can get additional volunteers to help with Maker Mondays and member orientations. Right now leadership is fairly overwhelmed with tasks to do. If anyone’s interested in giving even one or two tours a year, we’d greatly appreciate it! Please email membership@makeict.org if you can help

2 Likes

Hey, it has only been 10 years…good thing they are quick about it.

2 Likes

Ok, I can see your point on using our name to solicit funds if not part of makeict. Does that still mean if a person solicits funds or donations for themselves but are only USING makeict as a production facility, but doesn’t use the name acceptable? I do and have donated time to makeict. I’ve done holiday classes Oct-Dec last year and donated all earnings to makeict. I’ve donated time at our last location on maker Mondays giving a few tours. I’ve donated my art for a few fundraisers and I helped on the Magic Wheelchair Project the first time. I even joined the fundraising committee but quit because Covid hit and I couldn’t get anyone to give me any real defined answers to stuff so I lost interest.

2 Likes

If a person doesn’t use the MakeICT name or nonprofit status when asking for donations then there’s no problems. I’ll be asking for lumber donations for the falconry state organization, for example, and won’t mention MakeICT, even if the project is completed here.

Volunteer efforts such as yours have built the organization! Now we just have to keep it going.

Thank you for your patience as we work through policy rewrites. And seriously, with your history with MakeICT you would do a great job leading a tour. Doesn’t have to be regularly. Every little bit helps!

3 Likes

Thanks for more clarification. I can pass it on to some members that could use the info to better understand the issue of donations and fundraising. Good luck on the falconry…oh…subject change… I remember reading about photography equipment. If anyone is good at photography and sells their photos I saw a stunningly beautiful mixed race young woman at the Wendys drive thru on Clifton and Harry. I’m talking photoshop beautiful without make-up. She needs to be discovered.

3 Likes

I’m late to this party but I’ve always used Jiffyshirts.com. they’re very affordable and the same name brands you find everywhere else. Their shipping is fast and their customer service is top notch.

2 Likes