DIY musical instruments

Since I made a fab lab hurdy gurdy instrument last year I’ve been playing around with the idea of creating even more diy musical instruments that are comparable to real instruments. Since instruments are so expensive there has been more practical and legitimate diy options being created all over the world. I good example is the hurdy gurdy which is so expensive and not well know that an engineer in Norway developed a usable beginner instrument that can be made with laser cut or 3D printer parts. I think it would be a fun way to showcase the abilities of Makers and would be a great outreach program or maker faire booth.

1 Like

The body for guitars could be made on the shopbot. We could make one of those drums that is pretty much a box.

I summon… @Anna

Come from the depths to entreat upon us thy wisdom in instruments.

Saxophone? ::evil grin::

Lol well I did see an instrucable on making a pvc saxophone and flutes. I also want to make a pvc xylophone and maybe, if I’m ambitious, a steel tongue drum from a propane cylinder.

1 Like

There were a couple of luthiers around the space in the past that made some pretty cool guitars from found objects like cigar boxes and hockey sticks.

They might be up for sharing the secrets they’ve learned over the years.

1 Like

Reminds me, I need to check in with one on how her R2D2 is coming along.

Cajon