DIY knife heat treat kiln help

Hello there!

I’m a fellow maker and I’m getting heavy into knife making.

Heat treatment ovens are definitely helpful in the process.

The issue is that a typical heat treat oven can cost $2,000.00 +. There are a few cheaper options but I don’t think they’ll work for me long term.

I know that some make their own ovens, which can cut the costs tremendously.

My issue, I know nothing about wiring and diy electronics. I’m 85% confident that I’ll either blow myself up or start a house fire.

Is there anybody here that is knowledgeable about this type of project that can guide me through the process?

This oven/kiln oven will need to reach temps up to 2300 degrees Fahrenheit. I’m also hoping I can do this on a 120 VAC outlet.

Any help would be awesome!!

This is a link to plans that is what I’m looking for:

1 Like

I loled at “lots of gas when you are getting up to speed and less gas when you get are at the desired speed.” But it isnt really wrong.

That is a pretty good guide. I’d stick as close as you can with it and if it gives you trouble let us know and we can help troubleshoot.

Heck I may even follow this guide, be safer than digging a hole in my back yard and grabbing a hairdryer.

···

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022, 14:44 Derek Hulsopple via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Derhul
September 1 |

• | - |

Hello there!

I’m a fellow maker and I’m getting heavy into knife making.

Heat treatment ovens are definitely helpful in the process.

The issue is that a typical heat treat oven can cost $2,000.00 +. There are a few cheaper options but I don’t think they’ll work for me long term.

I know that some make their own ovens, which can cut the costs tremendously.

My issue, I know nothing about wiring and diy electronics. I’m 85% confident that I’ll either blow myself up or start a house fire.

Is there anybody here that is knowledgeable about this type of project that can guide me through the process?

This oven/kiln oven will need to reach temps up to 2300 degrees Fahrenheit. I’m also hoping I can do this on a 120 VAC outlet.

Any help would be awesome!!

This is a link to plans that is what I’m looking for:

dcknives.blogspot.com

Heat Treatment Oven Project

Heat Treatment Oven Project After making my 3rd knife and finding it difficult to maintain 1000°C temperatures, sustained and accura…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I can dig out some code I’ve used for a aluminum melting kiln (which I tend to just use with a static cone now (purely as a safety, as it doesn’t and shouldn’t melt in use), as I realized I mostly wanted it hot, but I could use it for doing something like that) which controlled temperature, with a Solid State Relay, microcontroller, and a thermocouple. It is a ~120V kiln (which is a rarity, and if you have the outlet for it, I’d highly recommend a ~240V, as it will be a lot faster)

Cost was probably $250.

If temperature control is important the cheap way to do it is exactly as described, which is the non-DIY way to get the PID/microcontroller.

It’s also what is in the melting furnace in the cold metalshop/jewelry area is, and I think that cost like $600?

I have several kilns of questionable merits…

Get in contact with Central States Metal Artisans, they can give some advice in this area and would probably show you how on a propane forge.

1 Like