Design Pantographs

I want to design my own pantograph for a leaf vein. I will probably hand draw it to stitch 36" wide to test it. I have some other ideas as well. What’s the best way to convert it to digital once I have all the kinks worked out?

Something like this?

I’ve found several on this site that I was able to screen shot, paste into visio, and adjust size to print.
Similarly, you could just scan your sketch and use word or a drawing program like visio to stretch adjust size and add the repeating pattern to lengthen. Most patterns repeat within 6-8" of length.
Look at the pantographs on this site for guidance and send me a scan of what your thinking of.

When I print its over several pages then I trim and tape to the length I need.

1 Like

If you want to hand draw it, One option is to scan it in and use Inkscape to convert it to a line drawing. I think there are also good tools in Inkscape for repeating patterns.

1 Like

Try the Inkscape seamless pattern template. This tutorial seemed like a good start.

You wouldn’t have to convert to Svg for that… but it might be easier to align the edges if you do.

1 Like

More like this. I’m going to hand draw and test it first before I move forward. I’m am not traditional and I don’t want my quilting to be.

2 Likes