Cutting mini gears

Just wondering what the smallest gear/cog would be the laser could cut in acrylic? I have a very small reduction gear box i want to copy the gears in but from a more durable medium. Talking 1-2 mm, sorry I’m still in metric, diameter and up.

2 Likes

Kerf is something like .05 mm, the smaller you go the less the gears will mesh, but accounting for kerf you could hypothetically go as small as you want. Friction/ heat would also increase with smaller gears/ higher rotation rate.

1 Like

Yeah, 1mm diameter is probably a bit too small. Maybe 2-3mm you could get something usable. It would depend on tooth count. Doesn’t hurt to try, though, especially with such a small amount of material. A resin printer might be an option, but support setup and removal could be tricky.

1 Like

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok did some measurements smallest gear is about 3.5mm with 10 teeth, is this achievable on laser with good teeth?

1 Like

Sounds plausible. Can’t say I’ve ever done anything quite that small, though.

1 Like

If your tool path follows the line you will probably end up with teeth too small and roots too big. So you’ll want to use a tool offset that places the inside of the kerf on the line. It has been awhile since I cut anything on the laser so I don’t remember what the setting is called there.

2 Likes

There is a kerf offset in the cut settings.

2 Likes