Cutting copper

Hi there! I have some sheet copper that has already been cut but I need cut into smaller pieces to use for jewlery as well as plant tags. I believe it is 18 gauge? I used to work at a machine shop and would use the big shears for this. Can anyone help me cut it to appropriate sizes? Thank you in advance.
Sandra

4 Likes

Also, ill gift anyone a pair of earrings or plant tags for the help!

4 Likes

Hand shears or scroll shears if you’re going for rough geometric shapes. Depending on what you’re thinking for ear ring blanks either the disk punch or jewlers saw would be a good option.

How big a chunk of copper do you have?

4 Likes

I have several pieces that are approximately 1in X 18in to 1in x 5in. I was thinking for earring blanks I would just keep it simple and do a sliver… maybe a 1/4 in. width X 1in length and then torch enamel. For the plant tags I want to maybe cut the long pieces in half to make it a half inch and however long it takes to stamp the plant name.

2 Likes

Oh! And we have a disc punch?! Cool! Is that in with your jewlers area? I havent used one before. Would i have to take a intro to jewelry or could I come in on a day when you are there?

2 Likes

I think there’s a small verticle shear in the metal shop, or there was. Ive never used it.

3 Likes

Yeah sure thing. Direct message me and i can take you through a quick authorization session if we can get times to mesh.

3 Likes

I’ve used the small vertical shear and wouldn’t recommend it for cutting strips narrower than 1/2 inch, due to slippage. I’d also be careful using it on anything soft, like copper, when marring would be unacceptable.

2 Likes

Is this Scott? … oops I looked… Sandra. Zackula is an unusual name… are you related to Scott and Racine?

3 Likes

Scott is my dad! Racine is my aunt! (If you were to ask if I was related to Roxanne, I might’ve said, “Zackula is more common than you would think…” Before finally admitting to being her relative and asking what wild thing you witnessed her doing.)

3 Likes

Right on. Thanks!

2 Likes

Good to know! Thank you for your input.

2 Likes

Tell your Dad Hi from LaDeana. Also tell him I am still playing the drums. I used to work with Scott out at Cessna. I know your Aunt from Toastmasters and I see her at the library every once in a while. :slight_smile:

···

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 1:07 PM Sandra Zackula via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| szackula
July 7 |

• | - |

Scott is my dad! Racine is my aunt! (If you were to ask if I was related to Roxanne, I might’ve said, “Zackula is more common than you would think…” Before finally admitting to being her relative and asking what wild thing you witnessed her doing.)

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

Will do! That’s awesome that you play as well! Also, isnt Racine the greatest? She has always been the “super cool” aunt.

2 Likes

I’ve worked with your aunt when I managed the Friends of the Wichita Public Library bookstore and redirected donated books to the library selectors attention.

Many years earlier I worked with another Zackula who as I vaguely recall may have owned Zacks by the Tracks (a liquor store). 40± years ago at Cessna.

3 Likes

That was my grandarents liquor store! I used to walk there after school in elementary. Lol. Saw some pretty interesting interactions with grandma for sure!

3 Likes

@szackula this is your life!