Cutting Aluminum Extrusion

Hi all.

I have some 20x20mm aluminum t-slot extrusion that I need to cut into pieces. This is the structural stuff used in a lot of 3D printers and other CNC type designs and I know some of you have worked with it more than I have.

I was going to use the horizontal band saw in the metal shop to cut it, but I thought maybe I should ask here in case someone has a better suggestion. Just need simple square cuts, Nothing fancy. Accuracy of length and squareness of cut are the primary concerns.

Thanks!

Steve

I have used a table saw and miter saw in the past, but both require special blades, and we can’t use the sawstop.

I have a carbide tipped blade in a chop saw that does a pretty nice job of that.
I could cut those for you this weekend if you plan to be around.

Curt

I was planning to be there Sunday. We could try both tools and see which
is better. Thanks.

Steve

Steve, Give me some warning when you’ll be there Sunday and I’ll swing by. - Curt

Curt, I’m planning to be there for a while this afternoon, probably
after 1:00. If for some reason today no longer works, it isn’t critical.

Steve

Ok, I’ll try to swing by between 1:30 and 2pm.

Or if you’re not certain you will be there then, you could email again once you are there.

Curt

I’m here

Steve

I just logged in to ask the very same question. so what did you end up using, and also are there any blades and/or same equipment currently present and available to members at the space?

what types of blades would you say would be needed for cutting 10S aluminum extrusion? also, does the makerspace have anything like that, or do I need to bring my own?

Let me rephrase that, what size blade should I buy and which tool would I use in the metalshop to use said blade in order to cut Series 10 aluminum extrusion?

I saw this when you posted it, but didn’t have time to reply then and forgot about it… sorry.

I did end up borrowing @curt.gridley chop saw and it worked pretty well. I don’t know if it worked any better than the band saw in the metal should would have though.

Steve