Curing area

@Malissa what if I told you I want to put the big projects and spray room where textiles is now?
Metals, woods, and fablab are constantly generating projects that could benefit from such a space. None of this is textile’s responsibility, but it seems like moving textiles is much smarter than co stantly carting projects back and forth across the building. Even without a spray booth or evacuation fan the location still makes much more sense for a project space than the south hall.

Spray booths in the building are a nightmare of expense and liability. And I wouldn’t necessarily be comfortable/happy with just an evacuation fan. Many finishes would still pose significant risk of fire and toxic exposure. We’d need a room that was drawing it’s own air which presents it’s own problems, such as intake air quality (dust, temperature, humidity), getting sufficient cfm, explosions. And there still wouldn’t be a good place to store slow drying projects that stink while they produce fumes for days. We’d still be limited to small work with only a small cross section of finishes. In the 3-5 year range I’d like to see an annex built that could handle a forge, auto shop, and large finishing area with a full on spray booth and adequate space for curing.

We need to look at adding that to a 3 or more likely (because of other upcoming expenses) 5 year plan. I think it is a super idea to get that forward planning started!

I’m no expert. I’m just sharing information that was not easily accessible by people that are not a member of the Nation of Makers leadership group. I was under the impression that what he stated, that I shared images of above, was outside and open not in their building. I wasn’t trying to do anything more than that. In my honest opinion I don’t want a spay booth in the building and I misread part of his response and though this was in the alley behind the build, but now realize they only found the desk they use there. I don’t think sharing information from another space and how they’ve delt with it and the cost involved warranted the response you directed at me.

The potential need to establish a finishing room is the only thing thst warranted that response, I tagged you because I know my suggestion would be a pain to move for thosecwho use textiles and I wanted to discuss the costs of the idea as well as the benefits. Sorry to alarm you.

I would be hesitant to put a whole room sized spray/cure/finish room inside the main building. Repurposing things is the mark of a maker, but this might be too much.

For just a quick example Transit had a part paint booth in an open air garage and it required sealed doors, clean air venting and intake, filtering, and clean air respirators to operate safely. Even then the smell traveled to the front offices.

This might be better put as a high priority item for possible expansion where it can be done right with maximum safety measure and precautions built in instead of trying to make things fit and run the risk of cutting a corner or two.

1 Like

Agreed. So many things inside would be insufficient unless we were geared up to industrial grade. Which is far far easier in a purpose built environment/building.
But even without flammable/noxious finishing there has been a highly vocal demand for space that can be used for bigger or longer term projects that the shops cannot provide.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Not a terrible alternative all things equal.

yes, ceteris paribus
also doubles as a bouncy house

4 Likes

SOLD.

1 Like

Interesting!

I’ve purchased a couple things from Vevor that I really have been happy with. They are a Canadian based company so shipping has taken a couple of weeks. They currently have a paint tent on sale.

4 Likes

Looking forward to your review of it. It looks like it would be very useful.

I didn’t purchase one I don’t have a need for it.

1 Like