Crochet

Hi… I have some old afghans that my Grandmother made back in the 60’s & 70’s that are in need of repairs. A couple have a thread (yarn) that is pulling loose. Another one has a hole in it and I don’t know if that can be repaired or not. Crocheting is one of the skills I have never been able to grasp. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced to all the great makers here, Mac

1 Like

May I see photos? I knit but my grandma crochets.

1 Like

Hi… thank you for responding. This is the only one I could find right now. This particular one was made for either my brother or me back in the mid 60’s.

Here is a bigger pic of the afghan. As you you can see, it has had a lot of use over the years. I don’t know if it will be a hindrance or benefit that the hole is kind of in the middle of the afghan.

1 Like

I broke out my box of afghans to find the other one that I thought needed repair, evidently my Mother had repaired it some time ago and never told me. Here is a pic of the other afghans I have from her. The one in question, is the cream one on the bottom

1 Like

Yes, it’s fixable.

Biggest issue will be colors tho. I’ll assume time and love has caused some fading.
Different brands have different textures/dye lots. Did your grandma have a brand that she loved?

1 Like

That was so long ago, I really don’t know. I am sure she did. I was thinking the same thing, but I think as long as we are in the general shade, it won’t be noticable unless you know about the repair and look for it. I did notice it is anheavy weight and a tight crochet.

Gauge is a tricky thing without a pattern, as is color/feel. Each person does it a bit differently w/o guidance. If you can find yarn you think matches the color feel, I can think of a few folks who can help you out.

1 Like

Thanks… I think I’m going to take it out to Joann’s tomorrow, Wednesday, and see what they have that will match or at least get something close. I can understand what you were saying about the technique, pattern and hook size will make a difference on how it will look. But, actually, I just want a repair so I can put it on my grandson’s bed so he can start using it. If you are going to be out at Make ICT sometime, I can always bring it out for you or someone to look at it.

1 Like