Craftsman Lathe Lead Screw

I was using the Craftsman lathe this afternoon and the lead screw isn’t working properly. The key may be sheared. Sometimes it will go too but then stops.

@rustin.atkeisson

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll take a look at it this week.

That’s now on my repair list next to replacing the green 5in vise, replacing the sleeve to the millermatic 212, finding a longer 6mm screw (uses 4mm Allen wrench) for the plasma cutter, and a #10-32 screw for one of the angle grinder guards…

If there is anything else that needs repairs that is not on that list, please let me know.

1 Like

I got a look at the lathe tonight. It definitely seems odd that the screw operates in reverse but not forward. I think I have some key stock small enough to repair it, but I probably won’t get to it until Thursday unless someone wants to take care of some blacksmithing work for me on Wednesday. If someone is interested on how the lead screw is removed, there is a youtube video for that. Atlas 10F Lathe - TH54 - 19 - Installing the Leadscrew and the Side Guard - YouTube

Other repair updates:
-The 5in vice has been replaced
-The angle grinder guard has been reattached and put back into service
-The screw on the plasma cutter really was 4mm, but the existing screw seems to work
-I have not ordered the new sleeve for the Millermatic yet

When I was using it on sunday operation in both directions was intermittent but it did seem to turn more reliably in the reverse direction. I never tried to load it up but it looked to me like the key fracture surface would catch sometimes and turn it for a while before it slipped off.
I would like to help out but I won’t have time tonight to get over there.

I dropped off a piece of key stock today, but it feels a bit loose in the key way.

I may have to take a larger piece of key stock and mill it down to the right size, but it still needs to be torn apart first to verify the key sheered.

Other updates:
-The screw on the plasma cutter was an M5 and has been replaced.
-I still haven’t ordered the sleeve for the millermatic, but it looks like they’re maybe $45

I just did a quick search on Amazon. You can get liners for the M-150 Miller lead for as low as $13.99 for one and $24 for a pair of them. Some come with tips, nozzles, and more in the same price range. I replaced the liner in my M-250 with one of these cheap ones a few years ago with no issue to this day. You can buy an entire replacement aftermarket lead for $60 that will use the same consumables…. I am trying out the aftermarket equivalent to my 250 on one of my welders and it is just as good as my Miller lead on the other machine. The aftermarket lead is handling spray welding at max setting that sometimes trips our main breakers on the power poll with no issue(300 Amp Service)…. I also noticed Miller has finally redesigned their leads so hopefully the switch issue has been cured, I’ll have to look at one of those after they have been in service long enough to have reviews….

···

Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 10:58 PM
To: jeff@makeict.org
Subject: [MakeICT] [Metalshop] Craftsman Lathe Lead Screw

|

rustin.atkeisson MakeICT President & Metal Committee Lead
September 8

|

• | - |

I dropped off a piece of key stock today, but it feels a bit loose in the key way.

I may have to take a larger piece of key stock and mill it down to the right size, but it still needs to be torn apart first to verify the key sheered.

Other updates:
-The screw on the plasma cutter was an M5 and has been replaced.
-I still haven’t ordered the sleeve for the millermatic, but it looks like they’re maybe $45

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

|

jerryjacot MakeICT Member
September 7

|

• | - |

When I was using it on sunday operation in both directions was intermittent but it did seem to turn more reliably in the reverse direction. I never tried to load it up but it looked to me like the key fracture surface would catch sometimes and turn it for a while before it slipped off.
I would like to help out but I won’t have time tonight to get over there.

|

September 7

|

• | - |

I got a look at the lathe tonight. It definitely seems odd that the screw operates in reverse but not forward. I think I have some key stock small enough to repair it, but I probably won’t get to it until Thursday unless someone wants to take care of some blacksmithing work for me on Wednesday. If someone is interested on how the lead screw is removed, there is a youtube video for that. Atlas 10F Lathe - TH54 - 19 - Installing the Leadscrew and the Side Guard - YouTube

Other repair updates:
-The 5in vice has been replaced
-The angle grinder guard has been reattached and put back into service
-The screw on the plasma cutter really was 4mm, but the existing screw seems to work
-I have not ordered the new sleeve for the Millermatic yet

|

September 6

|

• | - |

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll take a look at it this week.

That’s now on my repair list next to replacing the green 5in vise, replacing the sleeve to the millermatic 212, finding a longer 6mm screw (uses 4mm Allen wrench) for the plasma cutter, and a #10-32 screw for one of the angle grinder guards…

If there is anything else that needs repairs that is not on that list, please let me know.

|

JeremiahB
September 5

|

• | - |

@rustin.atkeisson

|

jerryjacot MakeICT Member
September 5

|

• | - |

I was using the Craftsman lathe this afternoon and the lead screw isn’t working properly. The key may be sheared. Sometimes it will go too but then stops.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

The key was completely fine. Turns out the acme thread feeds into a slipper clutch.

Next step is to dig into the carriage, which may happen either tomorrow or Saturday.

I switched the power feed to the y axis and had no issues… Except when I disengaged the power feed, the y-axis kept feeding. I unplugged the machine, reached under the carriage, and pulled out some plastic stuck in the gears. It ran a bit better, but then watched that slipper clutch let loose. That probably means there’s more gunk to clean out of the carriage.

I’m about to put the new 15ft sleeve on order for the millermatic as well as a couple blades for the horizontal bandsaw (had to replace the blade on it tonight).

Thank you to whoever fixed the carriage on the craftsman.

I came in this evening to find the ways lubed up and the machine plugged in. I did some quick testing of the x power feed and was not able to get the clutch to come lose either in forwards, reverse, or with the y power feed engaged.

Seriously, thank you to whoever did the repair/cleanup.

2 Likes