Cow poo

@squarenuts @SeanSandefur @mikeb @deanday
I talked to Duane, the guy that is renting pasture for his cows at our place in Coffeyville. He has a skid steer / loader that we can use whenever he’s not using it to help load up that aged cow manure from the old barns. I will be going down to the farm in the next few days, but Duane’s harvesting hay right now so I don’t know if it will available.
There are a few bales of old yucky hay and there are a lot of big limestone rocks. You can have all the poo, hay and lots of rocks (if the loader can actually lift them!).
We just need to figure out a time that the planets are all in alignment. I do have a couple of still shots I can send, but will take a measuring tape and take video when we’re there next to give you an idea of the situation. I just would not want you all to make a huge effort if the time, gas and work outweighs the benefit of the manure.
If there is a person who wants to make a day trip with us just to get in the country, let me know!

1 Like

If the manure is in barns, out of the weather, be careful of using too much. It hasn’t had a chance to leach out any nitrogen. My dad got manure from under a shed, mixed it with soil and planted strawberries. The plants died. He had the soil tested and it had the equivalent of 700 lbs. of nitrogen per acre.

2 Likes

We went to Little House on the Prairie took 166 out and 160 back, both beautiful drives. There’s a rock formation near Elks County Rodeo Arena on 160, located on private property, that is interesting but hard to see from the roadway. Google Maps

We’re definitely planning on letting it season. Taking “hot” compost/manure and making beautiful soil from it is an integral part of our educational goals

2 Likes

Melanie, Just sent you an email and Wes. Wes has a covered dump trailer and is willing to make the trek. Thanks again!

3 Likes

I just saw this thread. If anyone ever wants some horse poo, let me know. I’d be happy to load it for you.

3 Likes

If you really want a steady supply of crap, run for MakeICT President. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We would love your horse poo! The South Western corner of garden area is reserved for manure/compost so dropoffs can be made there. If that’s not an option, I’m sure we could arrange for transport if you can handle loading. What kind of quantity would you have available?

1 Like

It’s all pretty soggy right now, but when it dries off again, I’ll let you know. Probably have a good pickup bed load now or more, but the pile keeps growing. If someone has a dump trailer or truck, that would be ideal. I share a dump truck with my dad, but I don’t have it right now. Later this year I might get it, and when I do I could bring some in to town if needed.

2 Likes

You’re welcome to as much as you want. Like I said, I can load it for you.

2 Likes

Steve,
We would love your manure, all of it. What kind of timeframe are you good with? Scheduling is a bit tricky but if you want it gone quick we’ll figure out how to make it happen!
Thanks so much!

1 Like

No particular hurry on my part. The pile will continue to grow until after the corn is harvested in the field next to us later this fall. At that point I would spread it in the field and start the pile over. If you come get it before then, I’ll have less to spread :smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like a real win/win!

Steve,
How does Saturday sound?
Have dump trailer access if you can load.

Yes sir. Sounds fine. I’ll message you some info.

1 Like

Thank you so much! The load of horse $#!+ seems much happier on our compost pile!
Don’t know if you make it around for Maker Mondays, but if you do please mosey on out to the garden and grab a bite to eat!

2 Likes

Hmmm, you might want to clarify that just a bit…

5 Likes

… no