Countersink microstop

Does anyone know if there’s a countersink microstop somewhere in Metalshop?

Not sure what you mean by microstop, but I don’t recall seeing a stop collar. Easiest and quickest way to get one is to drill a hole through a block of hard wood. Cut to length.

I’ll be in the woodshop in a little while if you need one made.

One of these. Never used a stop collar working with metal before. Would it be as precise for small chamfers?

1 Like

I’m quite certain I’ve not seen one of those. It can certainly be more tedious to achieve the desired countersink depth with other methods. Are you countersinking holes or are you chamfering edges? What amount of precision are you looking to achieve and how do you intend to verify you have achieved it?

Just a tiny chamfer around some threaded holes, more for deburr than anything, and not looking for precision so much as evenness. Don’t wanna accidentally overdo it and ruin the threads, so I want some good control over it. I’ve used microstops a lot for countersinking rivet holes and I like ‘em. Think I’ll pick one up at the Yard Store.

And yes, I totally should’ve chamfered the holes before threading them…but hindsight :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Just remember you might need to chase the threads after countersinking. A setup as I described can do a decent job. You won’t likely adjust the depth in tenths, but especially if you have a sample to work on, you should be able to get it where it needs to be with a little trial and error.

2 Likes