Copper Pendant with Beads

Hydraulic pressed copper moon and some dangly bits. I had never used this die before nor used a headpin with beads so the way the headpin is finished is totally incorrect. I have since been informed of the right way but have yet to practice it :smile:.

Separately, I also learned that it’s not a good idea to use hard solder to sweat solder copper unless you’re a masochist lol use Easy or Medium instead.

10 Likes

Wow! That is awesome. Is the mold one you bought or one you made?

3 Likes

Thank you!
It’s one I bought from PotterUSA so you may see some jewelry reproduced with the same design (it’s a popular one for them). Kevin and his whole team are really great people with a very active Facebook community.
I am interested in making my own die but it’s lower on my want-to-figure-out list. Best way to do it would be with an engraver but I don’t have a machine or know how to do it by hand (yet).

2 Likes

The cad group is working on some of the little NC mills in the Fab lab. When I looked at it… that is where my mind went… you say the ones you have are made using an engraver?

···

On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 10:59 AM Mandee E. via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Emme MakeICT Member
July 16 |

• | - |

Thank you!
It’s one I bought from PotterUSA so you may see some jewelry reproduced with the same design (it’s a popular one for them). Kevin and his whole team are really great people with a very active Facebook community.
I am interested in making my own die but it’s lower on my want-to-figure-out list. Best way to do it would be with an engraver but I don’t have a machine or know how to do it by hand (yet).

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

5 Likes

No the ones from PotterUSA are reproductions made with massive drop hammers at PotterUSA. But ones that people do themselves are generally engraved, I’m told. Some say you can use a burr and a dremel/flex shaft too but I’m wanting more precision than that.

2 Likes

Oh that’s really beautiful, I love it.

2 Likes

Thank you! I figure I’ll practice in copper first and I’m glad I did as I would make design changes next time. Trying to work on fabrication and soldering skills.

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve used hydraulic press dies for jewelry making before, and that’s absolutely something we could make on the mini mills.

But does MakeICT have a hydraulic press? The one I used was at Mrs. O’Learys downtown. Their little metalshop is quite impressive and it’s also the first place I did powder coating. Might be a field trip possibility there one day…

3 Likes

I don’t see that it has one but it’s entirely possible to build one, considering the incredible welding skills of our members. It just needs a solid frame and a 20 ton bottle jack.
I understand that Harbor Freight has an inexpensive ($250 or right now $200 with a membership) 20 ton frame but the platens are very small and it would need some MacGyvering to be useful for jewelry.
PotterUSA sells a few different types of presses now and their cheapest is $850.

I have also heard of Mrs O’Leary’s and intend to visit when I have some better cash flow.

3 Likes

@rustin.atkeisson @MAtherton any interest in getting a hydraulic press for MakeICT?

I’m also addicted to those hydraulic press TikTok videos where they put random cookies or squeaky toys in them :laughing:

3 Likes

Hahaha yeah those are electric and WAY more expensive but totally awesome.

The biggest problem I foresee with having one at the space is that they’re reaaaaally easy to damage. You MUST use spacers between the platens and they should be aluminum. Safety would be a big deal bc your die must be centered or it’ll blow out at you/everwhere. And just the process of squishing is difficult as it’s very easy to have too much (or too little) metal and thus damage the die (which must be made of tool steel so they’re inherently expensive).

I’m happy to assist with tips and tricks to try to prevent problems should the space get one. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yep, would probably be something that would require an authorization class. There are far too many reckless people out there watching TikTok videos and getting bad ideas :grin:

3 Likes

Oh man, if I had thought about it at the time, at work, we recently scrapped a hydraulic pump and piston from a wheelchair lift. rated for ~3000 lbs

3 Likes

Are there still sunroof motors in the electronics lab? Not sure what they are rated for.

1 Like

Check the metal shop. I think it’s in the cold shop.

···

On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 2:33 PM Gemma Blackburn via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| gemma Membership
July 16 |

• | - |

Yes! I’ve used hydraulic press dies for jewelry making before, and that’s absolutely something we could make on the mini mills.

But does MakeICT have a hydraulic press? The one I used was at Mrs. O’Learys downtown. Their little metalshop is quite impressive and it’s also the first place I did powder coating. Might be a field trip possibility there one day…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Apparently Kevin Potter at PotterUSA decided to smash ding dongs in the drop hammer today in their shop in AZ

Edit: oops I bet you can’t view that because you have to join the group.