Cool Wood Bowl

I saw this wood turner bowl in my fb feed. I thought it was cool and maybe give someone some new ideas to try.

8 Likes

Way beyond my turning abilities. So, yeah, let’s try!

2 Likes

That’s beautiful. So beautiful I’m embarrassed that my first thought was “Wow, it’s a splat bowl!”

Making anything non-liquid look like liquid is already an achievement, but I had no idea it was possible to do this with wood.

3 Likes

I had no idea this could be done with wood either. I don’t know if it’s a combination of turning and carving along with some hand sanding. I still thought it was awesome looking and thought it might get other woodworkers some inspiration or ideas to try.

3 Likes

imma guessing they turned a bowl with a thick and wide lip and then cut out the splats on a band saw, like the smaller of the two thats in the woodshop and then lots if sanding and patience. neat idea, would be fun to try with a wide lip done segmented of different species of woods for color.

6 Likes

A bullseye could be fun, and achievable with natural wood colors. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

similar to this or a bit more complex?

4 Likes

Wenge and Cherry?

3 Likes

I was thinking of concentric circles, to match the wood grain.

3 Likes

well that one is wenge and walnut. the design that gretchen wants is doable, but would create more scrap. probably could be a glue up of different widths of maple and bloodwood. then decide on number of segments.

i calculated it up for a 6 " diameter in case someone wants to tackle it. here’s what youll need to know.

3 Likes