Cool Storage Idea

I thought this was a cool storage idea that could easily be done in maker-space or at home.

12 Likes

It’s… Beautiful.

Like a giant parts drawer storage thing. With the plastic slide out drawers… you organize screws or resistors, or whatever…

You could cut a whole in the front of the tub to be able to reach in… You could make different sizes of tubs… This is my decorating scheme for the basement.

Actually it’s a project I’ll start and not finish but I’m trying to do better at that!

And every project not finished is a project not finished yet.

8 Likes

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

4 Likes

Cat. Obstacle. Course.

7 Likes

Could be a great cat condo for feral cats too

4 Likes

I want to do this on a smaller scale for plastic shoe boxes.

I’ve made three attempts and it always turns out so rickety it doesn’t work. :confused:

3 Likes

The back probably needs X braces

3 Likes

This particular style of box has a little wider lip giving more room for support. Accurate measurements would be especially important. Setting a stop block to allow repeated identical cuts on the miter saw would make it easier.

@Malissa or anchor it to the wall

5 Likes

I was also trying to make them be single column, which is what my space calls for, but is probably an unfortunate design idea.

3 Likes

I used to do this with milk crates. I do something similar now with little bins that target sells at the beginning of the school year now.

5 Likes

This would also help to prevent the boxes from sliding too far back

6 Likes

Do milk crates have a “lip” that lets you slide them along a dado or bracket like this?

Or did you just mean that you built shelves the right size for milk crates/bins?

3 Likes

The milk crate slid on top of the little “rail” on the sides.

5 Likes

I’ve seen people do that above a garage door or along the top of the wall too. As long as they don’t get too heavy it’s a great way to store stuff.

4 Likes

You would definitely need labels. Otherwise, this would be where things go to die.

7 Likes

I feel like a picture is needed. :rofl::rofl: I’m such a visual person.

Like, if I can make this work for all my milk crates AND my shoeboxes, dang, I’ll be sooooooo organized.

4 Likes

Best I can do on my phone.

8 Likes

Thank you!! Totally not what I was envisioning, this makes so much more sense.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I strongly recommend clear bins, or open shelves. I’ve been on some cleanup committees that had to get into the business of opening boxes and it was quite the adventure.

BUT I like the racks!

4 Likes

Open shelves have fallen out of favor with me. Stuff collects dust and then has to be cleaned up before it can be used

1 Like