Concerns from the Unofficial Caretaker of the Visual Arts Room

Hi everybody! My name is Kris. You can recognize me by my bare feet and round glasses.
I joined the makerspace a couple of months ago, and jumped at the chance to make the virtually abandoned Visual Arts room into a place for creative expression and communal cohesion. Any and all are welcome, at any time.
For the most part, the space has been respected. I have started up a number of projects in there, including a painting, musical recordings, and the beginnings of a papermaking operation. No one who has come in has tampered with anything - they were about their business and then left when they were done.
I have put a lot of work into that space. I will continue to do so.
So when I come into a room and find my things unceremoniously knocked about (more than their usual clutter- I need to work on my organization), my (for me) expensive recording setup strewn on the floor, and a boatload of chairs all shoved at one tiny table (the purple one near the air conditioner) with my things thrown out of the way when there is literally an ENTIRE room that I have spent hours rearranging so everyone could have a spot - myself included - well, yeah.
Do I need to elaborate?
Do unto others, homie.
I love Make ICT. And my entire creative life is centralized there. I view it as a great gift and a privilege, and have opted to trust my fellow denizens around my stuff.
Please, don’t make me regret that decision.
I will have and will continue to respect your things.
Please, give the same honor to mine.
God bless.

11 Likes

Hi Kris!

Intentional damage to your property is disrespectful and should not happen. Sorry to hear that it apparently did.

That said, you need to either take personal items home with you, or store them according to the storage policy, when you’re not using them.

Otherwise-- I want be sure and point this out, because your equipment is so expensive – the policy says that they may be placed in Lost and Found, become the property of MakeICT, or even be removed and disposed of.

Kim is the interim lead for visual arts, so please contact her if you want to see about making special arrangements (but those are generally only for projects in process using the tools/materials in the area, e.g. a wood project in the wood shop).

Also-- please do not walk around MakeICT barefoot!

2 Likes

@Gretchen , I hate to contradict you, but there is no interim lead for visual arts. Whatever source claims that urukim is interim lead is sorely mistaken. In fact, @ladymondegreen is the perspective legit lead for visual arts, so perhaps they should ask themselves.
That said, @ladymondegreen , @Gretchen brings up some very legitimate concerns about private property being stored at MakeICT, perhaps especially in the case of leads/chairs/instructors. Perhaps you are already aware. I applaud your enthusiasm but caution you to be mindful of the rules and reasoning behind them.

3 Likes

Thanks, Aaron-- edited.

1 Like

I apologize for the confusion. At some point I was, but I also very quietly resigned a long while back.

3 Likes

i will peruse the rules and maintain compliance to the best of my ability.
is there (and i ask this in all good faith, not to be contentious) a rule stating that i cannot go barefoot? i understand like the machine shop and woodworking and whatnot - am i prohibited from being barefoot as i paint and strum guitar in the safety and quiet of the Visual Arts room?
also, how might one go about officially adopting a room (as an interim lead), since the art room has no fixed overseer? i am content to do things by the book, but i’ll meed guidance. i am only a month or two in, after all.

2 Likes

I have no knowledge of a no-barefoot rule outside of the requirements for closed-toed footwear in some areas.

5 Likes

The July 2023 meeting minutes you voted to approve at the August board meeting list Kim as the interim visual arts lead :wink: So does the Wiki, for lack of anyone with access, who was advised of these matters, editing it.

2 Likes

I resigned is why. :grimacing: I’m sorry.

2 Likes

Would you define what you mean by this question? When I first read it I was concerned there’s hope to store personal property in the room.

1 Like

They still have you listed at the July meeting July 20th 2023 - MakeICT Wiki

2 Likes

nope.

1 Like

I’m haunting the space. Like a ghost lead. :rofl:

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to be insulting, if that’s how you took it. Would you be willing to explain what you meant by “adopting a room”?

2 Likes

to become the official caretaker of the room, to ensure a quality experience for everyone who might use it, to learn and teach, to inspire and enable continual creative output, regardless of medium.

5 Likes

Kris and I talked last night. He’s pretty chill and interested in fitting in to the culture. He’s going to make some changes to do that. If you haven’t met him yet, pop in and meet him.

6 Likes