Colored pencil drawing

Work in progress.

I started this drawing yesterday using colored pencils. I haven’t used colored pencils in a long time so i had some issues. I did the original sketch using a mechanical #2 pencil, which later caused me problems coloring in the lighter sections. The graphite lead smeared itself into the color and ended up darkenimg all the highlights. I will probably use a high h pencil for the initial sketch in the future.

5 Likes

WOW! Apparently I must say 20 characters of that to post a discourse reply, so imagine it repeated a bunch of times.

Thanks! When i imagine that its to the tune of meow mix. :slightly_smiling_face: lol

So i added more color and cleaned up some parts that were bothering me. I ordered a white gel pen that I hope will allow me to add highlights back in. In painting, highlights are usually done last but apparently with colored pencils highlights should really be done first. Oops. The gel pen should be here tonight.

I’m enjoying myself quite a bit doing this but I’m ready to move on to a different drawing.

2 Likes

These are big pictures I’m uploading. Don’t know where they are being stored but maybe they should be scaled down?

Thanks for sharing! Looks awesome!

The white gel pen does work over the top of colored but only for small highlights.

This will probably be close to the final image. Ill probably add little indications of blue energy in the chest and palm arc reactors. And then call it done.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

2 Likes

How do you do that? Magic. Very cool.

That is very cool. 1

Thanks! I’ve been doing this type of art since around the time I developed consciousness. :slight_smile: So basically it’s as ingrained as riding a bike or taking showers. This is my first colored pencil drawing since around middle school, so there’s been a bit of development along the way. I wanted to get back into more traditional media so i ordered a few new sketchpads, a toned tan one and an artagain one. They bring out highlights much better. Traditional media has proven itself much more relaxing to me… relaxing to the point that it almost makes itself.

How did you get started drawing as a kid? Did you ever take any classes and/or follow any “how to draw” books? Our kids really enjoy drawing and are now at the age where I think they could do more with a little training, but we haven’t explored options.

I did follow along with “mark kesslers imagination station” everyday as a kid, lol. I don’t know if anyone remembers that show from channel 8. The last time I saw it was probably 1995. I would’ve been somewhere around 10 or 11 at the time.

I would say YouTube probably has the most wide range of information though. I just assume there is a channel specific to younger children.

Edit: I honestly don’t remember how I got started. It would’ve been around kindergarten when I realized I had a knack for it.

Yeah, well I was in high school before I got past the turkey-made-from-tracing-your-hand artwork.

You are an amazing artist and I am very jealous of you! I’m a frustrated painter that really needs to take some drawings lessons. Fabulous piece. Love seeing your work. Thanks for sharing.

Ninja action lines. Now, DRAW DRAW DRAW!

Thank you Gail. That’s very kind. I think frustration is natural when you are pushing yourself to improve. Like the yin and the yang is ripples on the surface of water, the low point becomes the high point, frustration becomes improvement. :blush: So its a good thing to feel frustrated.

For me sleep also has a way of knocking ideas loose. I can’t tell you how many times I get frustrated and the next day I’ll have the answer easy peezy. Like it was just there. I think when we sleep or minds are working completely in the abstract on whatever is in our thoughts.

Lol! I can’t believe you remembered that!