Collaborative Letterpress Type Project

Hey folks,

As some of you know, we recently purchased a nice letterpress and are planning to teach letterpress printing starting sometime this summer. One thing we don’t have, however, is type. Specifically, we don’t have much in the way of full fonts of wood type. While we can use a CNC router to create all kinds of stuff, many people would like to learn how to do typesetting in its original form, with individual letters being their own single piece of type. Hand setting type is becoming a lost art, and most people who even work as typesetters or graphic designers do not know how to set a form, add leading and furniture, insert quoins, and lock it all up so that it can be put into a press.

woodtype
I’d like to get together with any other interested makers for a project that would let us produce our own type (at least the larger stuff for headlines, posters, and the like) out of hardwoods on our CNC machines. In a nutshell we would:

1. Select a number of open source typefaces that are suitable
  2. Determine how many of each letter, number, and symbol we would consider a “full” font
  3. Create the gcode to carve full sets of each face, size, and weight
  4. Source and prepare suitable blanks of hardwood
  5. Carve each set on the CNC (and separate on the bandsaw, most likely)
  6. Build proper type cases to hold the produced fonts of new wood type

It is a big project, with lots of parts, and would require skills from several disciplines, but it would give us a great start on preserving the art of typesetting and presswork at MakeICT. The good news is that it can be a great learning experience. Those with CNC skills can gain knowledge in Letterpress and Typesetting. Those with Letterpress skills can learn CNC modeling and operation. There are opportunities in the wood shop. Lots to learn, lots to do. No deadlines or need to rush…just a way to learn new skills while helping out the makerspace.

If you’d be interested in participating, reply in this thread. When we have enough folks, we can set up a time to sit down together and make plans going forward.

Thanks,

David

3 Likes

Will we make a wingdings set?

2 Likes

This is that thing right?

(Attachment heidelberg-10x15-manual.pdf is missing because the forum is whining that the file size is too big…Wuss)

If only we had a place to post equipment info and manuals… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Which reminds me. Is there a good app for editing the wiki on the phone?

1 Like

Sure, I prefer Firefox. :slight_smile:

I actually just changed the default theme to something that actually functions on a mobile device. So you should be able to read and edit things pretty normally (without excessive zooming/scrolling). It seems that the new visual editor may not come up by default, but if you change the query string at the end from ‘?action=edit’ to '?veaction=edit you can make it load. I haven’t really tested it on my phone, so there may be odd quirks that I’m not aware of.

There is also an actual MediaWiki app, but I’ve never tried it: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia_app

2 Likes

I would love that to learn to be a part of this.

1 Like

If it works with my schedule I would like to be involved.

I’d like to be involved!

I used Work Sans Bold for the donor wall signs. It’s available from http://fonts.google.com

1 Like

What am I looking at/for when choosing a font.

I mentioned wingdings because if someone messes up the placement a touch, its probably easily overlooked.

Would this be a good idea?

https://gumroad.com/l/OpenDyslexic

1 Like

Sure, providing there are no lines or serifs that are too fine to hold in hardwood.

David

Which Sans Serif doesn’t have any… which is why it’s called that… huh TIL.

Its categorized as a sans-serif fwiw.

1 Like

So that’s like saying “without serif” in a whole ‘nuther dead language, huh? Who’da thunk it? I always thought it meant "Hey, you’d better check to see if there are any serifs on it before you going doin’ stuff."

Meh never knew what a Serif was really. The only time I paid attention to font was when I was writing a 3 page paper.

Its really quite interesting, and I’m pretty excited to learn.

1 Like

I recieved correspondence from an old friend and now I have a nasty case of stationary envy. This could fix that right? If I had a woodcut I could bring in my paper and ink, make several copies and be on my way?

1 Like

Or you could take the laser cutter to paper and make cool lacy or geometric patterns…

1 Like

That had crossed my mind. I’m replying back today so I may spend some time with silly winks and an exacto knife for the front of the card.

Ya know every year I offer to help the grandkids print their valentine’s cards and every year we buy them…

1 Like

Yep. You can do that now with our Vandercook Proof Press. Wouldn’t be fast like the Heidelberg, but you could knock out maybe a hundred pages in 30 minutes. We’d need to find a table to put the proof press on, though – right now it is sitting on the floor in the maintenance shop at Booth.

2 Likes