Cold smoke Salmon for Lox & bagel

Has anybody got experience in cold smoking salmon where it looks and tastes like store bought?
I have tried, failed, and looking for some help.
Thanks

2 Likes

I’ve not done it, but update here when you get it right and are in need of taste testers!

4 Likes

I’ve cold smoked salmon, which is a lot of fun but rather tedious using my Weber grill. I’ve also hot smoked it, which is much less tedious and has, I thought, similar results. The biggest difference, in my opinion, is how long the final product lasts. Hot smoked tends to be less smokey as well.
Lox refers to a specific method though that doesn’t involve smoke. Lox is salmon cured through the process of having water removed by long exposure to salt and sugar (primarily salt). This, I’ve also done in the refrigerator and had good results. The great thing is you can really affect the flavor of your final product through the addition of some pretty delicate herbal flavors that wont get lost in the flavor of the smoke. I’ve used the recipe and process in the link below and really enjoyed the result. Juniper berries are readily available at The Spice Merchant and you can use dried herbs but fresh is better because of their moisture content.

So that’s Lox, but if you’re also interested in cold smoking I can wax poetic about that too, and send along some resources.

3 Likes

Jai

Thanks for the email. We are going to try 3 salmon filets this week. I also have lots of trout and going to try the same receipt.

I have lots of lake trout from Lake Michigan if you would like some.

I’ll let you know how the salmon turns out.

Dick

···

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2023 6:34 PM
To: pavelskid@cox.net
Subject: [MakeICT] Cold smoke Salmon for Lox & bagel

|

jpalschauhan Facilities
January 1

|

• | - |

I’ve cold smoked salmon, which is a lot of fun but rather tedious using my Weber grill. I’ve also hot smoked it, which is much less tedious and has, I thought, similar results. The biggest difference, in my opinion, is how long the final product lasts. Hot smoked tends to be less smokey as well.
Lox refers to a specific method though that doesn’t involve smoke. Lox is salmon cured through the process of having water removed by long exposure to salt and sugar (primarily salt). This, I’ve also done in the refrigerator and had good results. The great thing is you can really affect the flavor of your final product through the addition of some pretty delicate herbal flavors that wont get lost in the flavor of the smoke. I’ve used the recipe and process in the link below and really enjoyed the result. Juniper berries are readily available at The Spice Merchant and you can use dried herbs but fresh is better because of their moisture content.

Epicurious – 17 Jan 21

Make Cured Salmon at Home, Enjoy Brunch Vibes for Days

You don’t need dill and aquavit to cure fish at home—in fact, you don’t even need salmon. Choose your own fish adventure with these guidelines for spicing, seasoning, and otherwise flavoring salt-cured cod, mackerel, trout—or, sure, salmon—at home.

So that’s Lox, but if you’re also interested in cold smoking I can wax poetic about that too, and send along some resources.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

I hope the results are delicious.

1 Like