Colab notebooks

What’s your opinion, cool tech or flash in the pan. Is this something that we can corn-figure for the MakeICT google or is it not worth it?

What are thoughts, and what are some ideas to do with it. Like… what can we do with it?

Are you referring to Python Installation - Colab Notebook  |  Google Earth Engine  |  Google Developers
?

That is the colab for google earth, yes. I think this is the primary link for colab in general
https://colab.research.google.com/#scrollTo=-Rh3-Vt9Nev9

I did find this: https://colab.research.google.com/notebooks/basic_features_overview.ipynb informative.

Although not Collab, we used an outlining tool called Workflowy to collaboratively plan Makerfest. It supports a super easy outline, tagging, zooming, assigning, filtering, linking, and mirroring. People picked it up intuitively and almost instantly. Really saved the day. See workflowy.com.

I wish workflowy supported a lot of the features from Collab… but if it did, I probably couldn’t have as easily convinced people to brainstorm there.

Don’t have time to type more, but I DO like Collab notebooks.

Sounds like you have a solution searching for a problem

1 Like

My tool chest is filled with those! I’m often super relieved to have them “in the ready” when something unique comes my way!

Basecamp works pretty great for teams. Team members can assign tasks for themselves or to others, projects can be created with other members which include timeline planning (with hard deadlines), file organization, and automatic updates to the team.

Projects are handled really well and can be used for repeating projects such as “mowing the grass” or single projects such as knocking out the erp walls and making a cool spot at the space. Any member who is interested in that can be notified of updates, assign themselves tasks or whatever other thing they need to do in regards to communicating or organizing that task. Timelines help with setting a schedule for physically mowing the grass (in that scenario), or planning for a new mower with a fundraising plan such as when/who makes the grass clipping pies for the bake sale, when/where to advertise it, meeting dates, etc. A team message board keeps everyone who needs to know up to date on everything.

So I just realized this post was in electronics and probably has more to do with organizing some sort of software thing.

1 Like

So much the better! We’ve been talking about mixing it up with the areas. There’s your synergy right there…

It’s been YEARS (or sadly more) since I used Basecamp… I’m going to have to see where it’s at now. Is it something that could work for tracking volunteer opportunities?

I don’t think it would replace the forum or face to face conversation for recruiting help. But I do think it will give plenty of opportunity for someone interested in helping out to browse projects within Basecamp and get in where they fit in, once they have a Basecamp account within the org.

I think the challenge is that each effort requires individuals, be they area leads or heading a special effort, to cold recruit, overload the same volunteers repeatedly, or just decide that a 1-hour task will take 2 hours to recruit and so they do it themselves. Meanwhile, people that want to volunteer don’t have a pool of tasks to pick from that spans skills and interests and those at the helm act as volunteer coordinators rather than achieving a goal. I would like to see a volunteer coordinator/committee.
…but this is getting off-topic, so I’ll shelve it!

Convincing others that a project is worth the collective effort is really the leaders job, as are planning and task lists designed to see it through. I don’t know that any organization tool will motivate people or give them the warm fuzzy that comes with contributing.

Hopefully with a tool like this, there would be many projects going at once. Anyone that wanted to help out in some way that they aren’t quite sure what that might be yet - could just browse the projects. Join or click to be notified of one or 2, introduce themselves to the others in that group or just sign themselves tasks from the task list. It even just ask what they can do.

I guess it could have the effect of partitioning people into sub groups but thats kind of what people do anyway.

1 Like

There’s also the concern that any tools with more than a trivial learning curve will discourage some people from participating in a committee or other group that requires using those tools.