Coding Classes for Kids

I have a friend with a nine year old who has a lot of interest in this. Anybody have any good recommendations locally where they could maybe send him to learn? Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

There is someone… a master whom used to teach younglings in the ancient arts of coding… now that his doctorate is complete and he is spending more time at the makerspace, it might be something we see.

But I don’t want to name names :smiley:

···

On Mon, Dec 26, 2022, 13:50 Patrick Hutchison via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| pwhutchi Ceramics Area Lead
December 26 |

• | - |

I have a friend with a nine year old who has a lot of interest in this. Anybody have any good recommendations locally where they could maybe send him to learn? Thanks in advance!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

9 Likes

@dom may not come to the forum on a regular basis so it might be a good thing to tag him and ask if he is interested. Or were you referring to someone else?

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about putting together a series of workshops around making games. Do you think that’s something your friend’s kid would be interested in?

I also need to come in and get familiar with the classroom facilities (projector setup, laptop availability and specs, climate control, etc).

8 Likes

I would like to make an offer, @dom I would love to teach a couple more gameboy macro classes. My class could be $20 and provide students with a gba system and charger. The class could be open to younger people (I could provide soldered boards for students that are too young to solder). If you wanted to teach making gba games we could team up and flash our own games that people could play on a handheld console they made.
I know there are several gba game making programs (gbadev.org has a couple options) as well as national game making competition (gba jams) and places to share the games online.
I’ve never done it, but I would love to learn with everyone. Here are a couple videos I like:
Let's Make a Game Boy Advance Game | GBA Jam 2022 - YouTube
I BUILT A GAMEBOY MACRO XL FOR LESS THAN $1 | 2020 Game Boy Macro XL Tutorial | Retro Renew - YouTube

6 Likes

Could find a way to store them for anyone to play.

It would be cool for a famous game designer to be found at MakeICT. Or for a famous game designer to find game designing at MakeICT…

···

On Tue, Dec 27, 2022, 13:42 Ben Rogers via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Ben.rogers Committee Lead
December 27 |

• | - |

I would like to make an offer, @dom I would love to teach a couple more gameboy macro classes. My class could be $20 and provide students with a gba system and charger. The class could be open to younger people (I could provide soldered boards for students that are too young to solder). If you wanted to teach making gba games we could team up and flash our own games that people could play on a handheld console they made.
I know there are several gba game making programs (gbadev.org has a couple options) as well as national game making competition (gba jams) and places to share the games online.
I’ve never done it, but I would love to learn with everyone. Here are a couple videos I like:
Let’s Make a Game Boy Advance Game | GBA Jam 2022 - YouTube
I BUILT A GAMEBOY MACRO XL FOR LESS THAN $1 | 2020 Game Boy Macro XL Tutorial | Retro Renew - YouTube

In Reply To

| dom MakeICT Co-Founder
December 26 |

• | - |

I’ve been thinking about putting together a series of workshops around making games. Do you think that’s something your friend’s kid would be interested in? I also need to come in and get familiar with the classroom facilities (projector setup, laptop availability and specs, climate control, etc).

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

I would like my son to take that class.

2 Likes

I’m sure @Tobias778 would take the class again.

1 Like

I have 2 or 3 kids that would love that type of class. I’m a newer member btw

3 Likes

I also have a 14 yr old interested.

3 Likes

I have a 14 yo nephew that may be interested too.

3 Likes