CNC Plasma Setting advice

I just cut a test part on the CNC plasma. 1/4" steel, 3" x 4" box with a few 1/2" holes. About half of the path it cut through very clean, not even much slag on the opposite side. The other half didn’t quite make it through. This happened in both X and Y direction so was not in line with the support grid. Plasma is set to 65A and used the Hypertherm 65A tip and configuration file. Would the feedrate be too high? I looked at the gcode. It shows:

N55 F#<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]>

Is this a variable being passed in?

What’s the best way to slow it down? Or is there another way to make the cut go through everywhere?

Also, my holes were through but a couple were slightly egg shaped. Perhaps this is related some how.

Any advice? Thanks!

Kevin

2 Likes

Are the egged holes egging in one direction, either X or Y?

I’ve bought steel from the Yard before that wasn’t quite the gauge they claimed it was and had areas that didn’t cut through, so I always take calipers to any stock now before cutting. Are the consumables in good condition?

2 Likes

I just measured the material. It is a bit fat at .258". The oblong in the holes it actually about at a 45 degree angle to the axis. I think it may be a function of the lead in. It’s not terrible and I’m not real worried about it as I expected to have to clean up the holes. And the part is square so there’s no overall problem with either axis being uncalibrated. Really just need to know what to do to get through slightly fat material.

2 Likes

I’d go up to the 3/8” 65a profile in Fusion and post-process again.

2 Likes