Cnc/laser aluminum

Iso of someone that can help me with making a aluminum plate for my 3d printer. I have the design

1 Like

The laser cutters at makeict are not capable of cutting aluminum. I can’t tell if that was your intention or not. It you just need a dxf, or help with the cad side I might be able to help you.

The CNC Plasma Cutter can cut aluminum if you’re just looking to cut out a shape.

1 Like

These are the items im needing

1 Like

I have the files for it. Just needing to find a way to get it cut.

1 Like

Should be able to cut the basic shapes on the plasma and then drill the holes by hand. You’d just have to know all the dimensions to create a CAD model first. I haven’t personally cut aluminum with the plasma, so I’m not sure how clean it’ll cut. You’d get a much more accurate result if it was milled on the Tormach instead, and you could also include that design on top.

The black pieces look like they could be 3D printed.

1 Like

I should mention that we have a CAD/CNC group that meets at MakeICT every Thursday evening. If you want to bring this project, we could all take a look and give you some advice.

2 Likes

Ya the black pieces are 3d printed. I can do those. Its the 8 aluminum pieces that i cant 3d print do to heat and the speed of my printer. I have the files for the aluminum pieces already got them from printables.com.

What time Thursday’s do you guys meet
I am new to this group.

3 Likes

We start around 5 and typically get done at 7:30 at the earliest.

2 Likes

Maybe with other gases it would be better, but my experience cutting aluminum with plasma is it leaves an awful edge.

If I was going to make that with the equipment at makeict, that’s how I would do it. 2 setups on the tormach. Or 3 or 4 to get the engraving.