Cleaning

I really feel foolish for having to even bringing this up. I am hoping this is an isolated issue. After leaving a note and hoping whoever made the mess would get the hint, the note was tossed and the mess remained. Is there really that much of an aversion to cleaning up after oneself? Perhaps we should just start locking out equipment when its found as a mess.

8 Likes

I’ve felt this way a few times about woodshop. Metal shop is 2nd worst about cleaning up their messes.

Whenever i run the shopbot, i basically spend the whole time sweeping and putting away tools that arnt near someone project thats left in there.

Metalshop isnt as bad but its up there.

Im with you though, that’s one of my gripes here

Member at large greg cain

7 Likes

Fortunately (for them) the perpetrators of “mess and dash” are never there at the same time i am. It’s just hard for me to fathom how someone cannot be a responsible adult and clean up after themselves. Its not rocket science.

6 Likes

Agreed. Id like to see more strickly enforced rules regarding clean up. Straight 30day lock out if the mess was found to be purposely not cleaned up. Such as the mess you found as you cant forget about something like that and claim “oh i forgot” especially after viewing via camera and determining they made no attempt at cleaning up.

Of course mistakes happen and just a “hey, it didnt look like you ment to leave this mess. Would you mind doing some extra cleaning next time your in the space as someone else had to clean up your mess”

Im not sure how it normally goes down as ive only been a member for 3-4mo but every time im in wood or metal i feel like im cleaning up am excessive mess. Not just oh the floor needs swept.

3 Likes

No suggestions to add, but the electronics lab is very similar. I completely understand the frustration. I spend most of my time cleaning a space on a workbench before I can even work on my project (hence the workday last weekend :woman_shrugging:t3:).
That being said, I am very aware I left a stack of not finished/built wood for shelving in the Electronics lab this past weekend. :woman_shrugging:t3: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:#UpgradesInProgress

6 Likes

The biggest problem with this is catching them. I would like to see us get cameras for all the rooms. I would totally give them a piece of my mind… if I ever caught one of them.

4 Likes

We have had a problem in Textiles, as well. I will say the quilt machine users have stepped up. And once we serviced all the other machines, the only real mess is the floor. Because we often work on things that drag on the floor, we would like to remind everybody to avoid spills and sweep up when they leave their project area.

4 Likes

Once cameras are installed we could consider a “wall of shame” using some of the images captured.

3 Likes

Maybe after a few conversations about “helping” and what it means to clean up after yourselves.

1 Like

No. Doesn’t work and I for one would consider that harassment.

5 Likes

We need cameras in the rooms. With that said…Even though I found the “Wall Of Shame” funny at the liquor store in my old neighborhood on Douglas, I’m not so fond of the idea of doing it to our members. Trying to Public Shame our members is a form of Passive Aggressive Bullying. It’s not being Excellent to each other. I feel a warning from the lead for the first offense would be good. Lets give them the benefit of doubt the 1st time. Things do happen. Maybe the 2nd time it happens a $20 fine, which doubles after that. If it hits the pocket book, then it tends to make an impression. It is ONLY an idea for a solution to an ongoing problem.

7 Likes

I know the leads often cover cleaning during area authorization classes, but maybe that information needs to be emphasized a little more and made more specific.

5 Likes

I do know that psrt of the woodshop authorization class that a clean up is part of the class. A wall of shame Isn’t the way to go, a fines system does sound palatable but would need to be fairly enforced, like the sawstop triggerings. If I should walk in on an authorization class, i might say something to the newbies about how annoying it is to find a mess when there shouldnt be. If it’s ok with Jesse.

5 Likes

I have cleaned up many messes that I didn’t make since joining MakeICT several weeks ago. I understand the frustration and the need to promote a better culture of personal responsibility and cleanliness.

Having said that, I am NOT in favor of classroom cameras at all…especially without trying many other methods first. There is way too much surveillance state mindset taking over daily life, imo.

I can understand cameras for general security at entrances and outside the building/grounds, but I have no desire to be filmed 24/7 as I sweat or look confused trying to figure out some task, etc. 8-/ It is bad enough that everything I purchase and bag at a Walmart self-checkout, along with every facial expression is flashed on a monitor and archived.

I strongly agree with sheldonp1968 and Malissa that a Wall of Shame approach is NOT an ideal way to go. I also strongly agree that any “fines” or other punitive approaches would need to be fairly enforced.

I think the simple fact is that some people have not been raised to clean up after themselves and/or are easily distracted once they “finish” their making/building activities and just focused on getting to the next task/appointment and/or are lazy.

In other words, some people need to be trained to be thoughtful, responsible, aware.

Reminders in the form of signage or all-member-emails could possibly help some to be more mindful.
Maybe some incentives/perks for voluntary cleaning sessions could motivate some to do more. Unfortunately, those people are most likely not the ones leaving messes every time.

In the wood shop, I would welcome a better solution for the dust collector barrel being emptied more regularly – it is heavy, messy, and not easily moved. It would be helpful if there was long hose attached to the system to easily vacuum floors and areas without dedicated ducting – without having to use the often messy shopvac.

It is not just the sawdust. There are people with project materials that have been there for months. Ideally, they would store those items somewhere else (like a dedicated storage room or take them offsite).

FWIW, this article resonates with me on many levels:

I will be trying to think of practical carrot and stick approaches and possibly better tools to make cleaning easier.

5 Likes

Cleaning is always a problem.

I think we need to remember the best way to clean in a woodshop is a broom, bench brush and dust pan. Those are present in both woodshop rooms.

Using those hand tools are relatively quick and safe. The do not stir up excessive amounts of dust, as a air hose blowing off a piece of equipment.

Using these does not fill up a vacuum bag, which requires change out and expense.

Using these does not require some one to empty the dust collector.

On Douglas Street the Woodshop had a Floor Sweep. It was always causing problems with the system. I am not supportive of a vacuum hose hooked up to the dust collector.

John Nicholas
Asst Woodshop Lead, Woodlathes

4 Likes

Respectfully, I agree and disagree.

I agree that a broom, bench brush and dust pan are go to cleaning tools…all of which I have used every visit.

I agree that generally it is best to not use compressed air to blow off equipment in order to limit dust being stirred up.

I very much disagree that it would not be helpful to be able to be able to vacuum up around the miter saw or the east wall or the router table or the spindle sander or by the shelves, etc. – with the dust collection system rather than the shop vac. Trying to brush those areas off can be difficult at times without stirring up a great deal of dust.

And finally, your point about the slab speaks to one of the concerns I have: namely, I do not want to risk damaging any one’s work pieces and more than once people have left things stacked against the outfeed table by the SawStop and the tables east of the ShopBot. So, even if they haven’t been there long or too long, I’m concerned about moving other people’s stuff.

My 2 cents, fwiw
Nobody, with no titles

4 Likes

Jeff, you are a valued user of our woodshop. Your point about cleaning specific pieces of equipment, counters, and shelves is perhaps best done with a vacuum hose. The lathe and workspace / stand is best done with a bench brush onto the floor and a broom and dust pan from there.

Accessing areas of the shop where members have stored their projects, blocking parts of equipment or storage areas is never a good thing.

We all need reminders from time to time. The situation I found last night, illustrates it very well.

3 Likes

Thanks, John, for the gracious response.

When the broom and brush don’t suffice, I am willing to keep using the ShopVac for the areas I mentioned. I just have found it a bit more cumbersome to plug/unplug it and move it around sometimes and am just trying to think of ways to lower the threshold for others to at least do a “quick clean” attempt.

3 Likes

We had cameras in rooms in the other building. I had a woodshop project that I left in a safe space for one night with everything that was required. The next day the wood was gone. The camera and badge reader helped identify the person that pulled the label off my wood, buried the lable in the bottom of the trash can, then cut it in to multiple smaller pieces, and pack it up and left with it. Cameras are not only about preventing messes. Plus if you’re doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about, per policy footage is only reviewed if necessary.

4 Likes

Consent to taking of photographs and video while at the makerspace or participating in MakeICT activities is also in the waiver agreed to by every member or attendee at events.

4 Likes