Brutus, the 3D Pen

Hey peeps,

Brutus is a pink 3D pen who lives on top of the west work bench.
Last time I tried to use Brutus, he didn’t work.

Could someone take a look at him and see what the problem is? If it’s user error, call me out on it. :woman_shrugging:t3::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: cuz there’s a highly likely possibility it is. There’s an equal possibility that he wouldn’t power on no matter what I did.

Please don’t let the answer be the trashcan. I have a project I want to use him for.

Happy Friday!!

Tagging for awareness (or cuz I think these people are around a lot and could maybe fix him…:grin:): @james.a.seymour @supercritical @rustin.atkeisson @Christian

3 Likes

I have a dead blue 3d pen that I will contribute for organ transplants for Bruce.

3 Likes

Think I have one of those 3D pens sitting around somewhere that was never really used. Pretty sure it works. Do you want it as a donation?

4 Likes

Yes please! That would be great. Thank you!!

We’ll still attempt to fix Brutus, cuz learning experience, but having one that works would be really nice.

Does yours already have a name, or shall we meet it and name it?

3 Likes

Once I release him from whatever dark closet he’s sitting in, he’d probably love a name.

3 Likes

Although I have been told that you should never anthropomorphize electronic devices, because they really don’t like it :wink:

3 Likes

I want to joke that I thought most pens are 3D. Do I need to call my pens “Bic, the 2D Pen”? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have a picture of a pen, is it a 1D pen?

···

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023, 12:37 Dave Miller via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| xrunner MakeICT Member
July 14 |

• | - |

I want to joke that I thought most pens are 3D. Do I need to call my pens “Bic, the 2D Pen”? :sweat_smile:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

4 Likes

I plugged it in, and it seems to work. It was able to melt PLA filament, and its display shows the correct temperature.

3 Likes

Interesting. Thanks Eric. I did that last week and it didn’t work.

Next time we’re in the lab together, you’ll have to show me your magic.

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Well, they’ve never told me they don’t like it, so name them we must. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh what can of worms have I opened?

1 Like

I would say yes, but what about the shadow? Doesn’t that make it…4d?

1 Like

The purposeful misunderstanding of dimensions is hurting my brain here.

picture of pen, 2d representation,

Bic, 3d object that is used to make 2d representations.

Bruce, 3d object that is used to make 3d representations

Obhathrh’itraxz 5d object that is used to make 4d representations

5 Likes

Ah but the 3d pen is actually 4d because how fast you draw is key. So a 4d pen draws in 3d, the 3d pen draws in 2d so obviously the 2d pen draws in 1d and the 1d pen in 0d and the 0d pen in -2,147,483,648d.

Time is an illusion, tea time doublely so

3 Likes

I know you were referencing Douglas Adams, but you said tea, and my brain went here

This taught me SOOO much about physics

2 Likes

Time might be an illusion, but tea time is not. Tea time is the only constant in the universe. :coffee::coffee::teapot::teapot:

2 Likes

Relativeisticly, both are correct depending on where you sit about it.

···

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023, 13:48 Kez via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Kez Maker Of Things That Do The Thing
July 14 |

• | - |

Time might be an illusion, but tea time is not. Tea time is the only constant in the universe. :coffee::coffee::teapot::teapot:

In Reply To

| james.a.seymour Director of Pansophy and ERP Area Lead
July 14 |

• | - |

Ah but the 3d pen is actually 4d because how fast you draw is key. So a 4d pen draws in 3d, the 3d pen draws in 2d so obviously the 2d pen draws in 1d and the 1d pen in 0d and the 0d pen in -2,147,483,648d. Time is an illusion, tea time doublely so

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

@Kez I found it! I’ll bring it up on Tuesday.

And in the same box there was this button from Bluebird Arthouse. How about that for nostalgia!

5 Likes

Thanks Gemma!!
I saw it yesterday and put it on a shelf. Gonna see about getting it set up/a home very very soon. :slight_smile:

Thanks a million!!

4 Likes