Brush disposal

Anyone know where I can get rid of brush in wichita I got a truckload I been trimming trees around house dump wants like 60$a ton looking for free if possible

We cut ours up small and use it in our fire pit

We just cut into bundles and set them out with the trash.

1 Like

I use Brooks Landfill.

This reminds me that the Garden Committee needs to formalize a process to solicit and accept donations to the compost bin and for firewood.

And also to solicit large natural stones for establishing a five foot diameter fire pit :wink:

If your brush is clean, pesticide/herbicide-free, and you can leave it in a tidy pile at the southwest corner of the garden I’ll let you do it this once and we’ll see how it goes.

And please keep an eye out for good fire pit stone!

2 Likes

Non sedimentary rock right?

I grew up in the flint hills and was always told not to use sandstone because its sedimentary.

They could have been messing with me though, for a while I believed that if you boil frozen water it becomes poisonous

“Nearly any kind of rock has the potential to explode - especially if it is porous and wet. When wet rocks heat up, the trapped air and water expand very quickly and forcefully break the rock apart, sometimes causing it to explode. Some of the most common rocks that should be avoided in fire pit construction include sandstone, limestone, pumice, gravel, and river rocks because of their porous nature and tendency to hold water. Hard rocks like granite, marble, or slate are much denser, and therefore less likely to absorb water and explode when exposed to heat. Other rocks that are safe to use around and in your fire pit include fire-rate brick, lava glass, lava rocks, and poured concrete. This is one area where you can use lava rocks for fire pit safety. If you have rocks in or around your fire pit, be cautious when lighting fires after it has rained. Wet rocks are much more likely to explode than dry rocks. If you frequently use your fire pit, you may even consider covering your fire pit in adverse weather to keep it dry and keep yourself safer.”

Poured concrete is suprising considering its anisotropic nature, but maybe it isn’t as porous as I assume. Steadycraftin did a video on making rocks with concrete and hardware cloth.

If I someone was considering putting in a sandpoint, and didn’t want to make it obvious, a cement and hardware cloth boulder would be a good way to keep it out of the elements…

Yeah, concrete is definitely porous, may so much so that water vapor can escape quickly enough to avoid explosion? That or this article is BS on that data point. Quickcrete doesn’t seem to endorse it as judging by their instructions here Casting Concrete Vases | QUIKRETE: Cement and Concrete Products

The old boiler in the space is full of fire brick.

It’ll be too cold soon… but perhaps not soon enough to cater to the back to school recruitment boom

Is the garden accepting yard waste?

Quickrete sand mix contains aggregate not selected to be safe when heated rapidly. (Limestone and shale, usually.)

A very dry mix of Portland cement and pure silica, with air entrainment additive can be safe for fire pit or similar use, but P100 dust masking, properly worn, and strict dust control is necessary working with silica.

I don’t think that the garden committee has decided whether to accept yard waste. But, I have missed some meetings and haven’t been able to pay attention in some meetings I did attend.

I would prefer to be pretty selective, partly because of wanting to exclude weedy seeds, chemical pesticides, and anything likely to spread plant diseases and partly because we have adequate sources of compost and mulch so far.

It’s definitely something worth discussing, and could be that some informal acceptance of yard waste has already been happening.

Mike