Brass Insert Press

Threaded brass insert press for 3d printed parts.

The press helps to push the inserts vertically into plastic (3d printed parts). The brass insert allow 3d printed parts to be taken apart repeatedly without wearing out.

I have found it is a challenge to get them to go in straight with a normal soldering iron, but I like the way things go together instead of putting in captured square nuts, or hexagonal holes for nuts.

The first prototype is almost done.

• I need to finish the base. Cut a 6x6 inch square of MDF or aluminum and screw the base to it.
  • Add power cord strain relief.
  • I turned the tip on the craftsman lathe. It was a pain to do manually. I am going to try to cut several different sizes on the Tormach. This tip might be too long for the very small inserts.
  • Reprint the sliding cradle out of PET or ABS. If it gets to hot being next to the iron. I used pla to use up some old filament.
  • rework the base. The height did not work out correctly when I added the end stop nut and spring. It is a simple fix just make the base shorter.
  • try to get rid of the threaded rod that runs through it, so it is totally store bought and 3d printed for others.

Please forgive the pimples on my prints. I still need to tweak the retraction settings, on my printer at home.

soldering%20iron%20tip

insert_press_cad

For anyone that does not know what a brass insert is.

BrassThreaded%20Insert

Here is a video of someone testing the strength of different ways of making threaded holes in 3d prints.

4 Likes

Instead of replying to other areas of the site that cause me grief. I thought it would be better to work on something that gives me enjoyment.

Here is version 2.

I need to go by bolts that are proportional to the barrel of the soldiering iron. Anything longer is a waste.

I might be able to keep the longer bolts, and keep the taller base, if I offset the face of the clamp.

2 Likes