Booth open for work

I did not know you could be a billiard tech. Could we just move it and put an “uncalibrated” sign on it?

it is too big to move in one piece safely. the slate tops comes in multiple pieces that have to be re connected then sealed to make one uniformed level surface. then the felt is streached over it. it does take some level of skill to do it right. I am sure some group of members are capable of dismantling and reassembling.

It would not be a bad idea to get quote. very little downside.

Go for it @tom.bloom

@Malissa if you can have them both hit on Sundays, it would be fantastic.

1 Like

For the record. I am normally in the camp of paying someone else for things like that. I will never move my belongings myself again. Pool tables are general included in that list.

@John.Nicholas I agree with you to find out what it would cost for someone else to move it.
If that number is hard to swallow on a minor side area (lounge). In general I would help out if others wanted to help disassemble and move it. I always like to learn a new skill, and like playing pool.

Googling (very few source available / most say get quote) moving 200-600. Assuming we ruined something moving it and it needed to be re-felted. It seems to be north of $250 (from 2015).
Only source with a number specified. https://www.angieslist.com/articles/replacing-pool-table-felt-youve-got-options.htm

I would want to know quality and condition is in. Is the felt worn? Does it need to be replaced anyway? When does it need to be moved to the new room? What room is it in now? (function) Can it sit there until after we move buildings? Can we disassemble it and move it to the new room in a pile and have someone else come in later and set it up?

My personal opinion is I would not want to spend any $ on something that is not needed until we figure out what the membership impact of the building move is and what the cost of moving into the new build is.

In the end my opinion does not count for much. I am only a member, and it is up to the board to make all financial decisions.

1 Like

Get a price, look at the table, decide how much a number of folks want to save that money.

I think the felt is in good shape. I worked a couple of summers with a guy that recovered tables. Not new, but better then average.

if it doesn’t get moved, I’m sure Doug Wilson and I can put a piece of plywood on it. It will make a sturdy assembly bench for the woodshop.‘’

I put it out, since is not a building modification.

Mine came apart easy enough. It consisted of the top in one piece and the legs in 4 pieces I believe. Just had to reattach and then level the feet until the table was level. Why would we pay someone for that?

This table has some really thick slate pieces for the top. I’m doubtful that it’s a single piece, but we may still want to modify one of the carts to move the pieces vertically

While heavy, this probably isn’t rocket surgery. Enough people to tilt it on it’s edge onto a 4 wheel cart (perhaps two carts), then roll it to the destination room. Six or seven people, 20 mintues.

1 Like

If the legs are removable, so much the better.

Its not like the bar pool tables is it? With ball returns and everything? That might be more complicated.

Just pockets, I think.

When we were looking at it the other day, the sides are not connected solidly from top to bottom to the table frame, they are just connected at the top, so if you took it as is and tried to tip it and rest it on a side it would certainly break the side off, and probably fall on someone. So, I would discourage the brute force method in this case unless we are trying to scrap the thing.

We should just pay the billard store to move it. Its roughly 600-800 pounds and we are fooling ourselves into believing we can tilt on on the side and wheel it on some carts.

2 Likes

A coworker’s son who moves pool tables for Chilton billards has offered to move it for $350. Maybe we can negotiate a better price.
I’ve also watched a few YouTube videos on how to move pool tables. Once you remove the sides and the pockets, you pull back the felt from the top as it’s glued around the edges that reveals screws that hold the 3 slate slabs onto the table. Remove slate slabs, move the pieces to the new location and reassemble.
It is also my understanding Chilton’s has lots of felt (colors and themes )to choose from when we’re ready to recover the table.

3 Likes

I suppose we need to determine if that particular pool table is worth $350.

1 Like

Three of them in town.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Billiards+Tables+in+Wichita&oq=Billiards+Tables+in+Wichita&aqs=chrome..69i57.18412j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

They could tell us what is worth and a cost to move. Some competition here.