Body Doubling

For context, I’m currently seeking an ADHD diagnosis, so if anyone else is either suspecting or diagnosed neurodivergent, this topic is for you.

I have had lots of experience with body-doubling, even before it was called that, in my life and wanted to see if anyone would be interested in doing that for online work? We have a discord server that doesn’t get much use, and I thought it would be perfect for this, personally. No talking needs to happen, but its always an option, and for me it helps to be able to ask a quick question and then get back to work instead of picking my phone up to send a message and getting horribly distracted…lol.

Would anyone be interested in this? I figure if someone wants to body double, they could hop into a voice chat and that way other people can see that someone else is in need of it/open to it.

3 Likes

What is this concept of which you speak?

1 Like

Its something neurodivergent people will often do because it helps them to get work done that may otherwise not get done if by themselves. Some examples in every day life are when some people will not avidly clean if there is no pressure of people coming over and therefore will clean like crazy once they know people will be over, or will be more focused when working on a project or work when someone else is either working with them or near them. I’ve experienced both throughout my life at varying degrees. I’m not sure why our brains work this way, but it helps a TON to have someone “there” even if no speaking is happening. Its like the presence of the person, even if not physically but over a call, is extremely helpful to us to keep us focused on a task. I believe most neurotypical people would find it difficult to focus in this situation, but it depends on the person. It does amazing things for my productivity lol.

3 Likes

I feel. So, basically, you’re more productive with company?

2 Likes

Yes, though not just any company. If I’m interrupted too much on a hard-fought-for train of thought, it makes me less productive because I will really lose the thought and have to put forth way more effort to remember it to get back on track lol. But knowing that about myself, it takes good communication to make that known to others. I’ve recently found pomodoro timers to be very helpful (25 straight minutes of working, then break, repeat 4 times, then long break).

4 Likes

I AM like this.

Ive never explained it like this. But i KNOW i work more efficiently when im not alone.
I havent been diagnosed. But understand this sort of ‘social need’ many if us have. Coz i have it bad.
I mean, sometimes i really do work better completely alone. And i understand its a deep-set default to seek alone ness. And work from that mental cocoon. Im very creative in that space. But being creative takes a back seat to getting stuff done. . . Almost ALL the time.

(Raises hand). I think i might like this opportunity. Maybe. [Peeks out of my safe hole]

1 Like

Of course you’re welcome to participate!! Lol, but we get really chatty when we’re around each other :rofl: we will have to make sure we stick to timers then lol. Incentivize the work with an endless chat at the end :laughing: do you have a discord account?

Hey!!! I’m also like this only recently learned it had a name. I have a discord account, (I didn’t know we had a server for makeict would like to get in on that. My account is locked so if we don’t share a server you can’t add me)

1 Like

I’ve never heard this term used outside the movie industry. Interesting concept though.

Hey, glad to see this would be helpful for you! Here is the discord server link: MakeICT

If it makes you feel any better, I found it by accident lol!

1 Like

Oh I see what you mean. I always called it “co-working” because it would keep me on task for drawing, but some people like to use it for non-work related instances to ease loneliness. Sort of a virtual “being in the same room as someone” thing.

1 Like

My family communicates on discord. I know the platform, but am not expert.

1 Like