Blue grey shop vac inop

Turns off shortly after turning on as if it’s clogged. Filter is clean now. Bin is empty. Rubs fine without filter but not with it. Was full and filter was caked to the point you could not see the pleats. Not sure if that’s a potential cause.

Also, the red grey Ridgid vac was completely full and its filter also completely full of dust.

@Jesse

1 Like

Thanks Dave. I think the switch might be bad on the blue grey.

2 Likes

Would it make sense to add a separator to these? Lots of people add sidecars to hold a cyclone and separate dust bin. I realize it would mean the vacs take up more space, but it might enable more frequent dumping and would definitely extend the life of the vacs/filters.

1 Like

The separators are nice but, like you said, so big. I think we will start dumping them in authorization class, which is twice a month.

1 Like

Woud this style be useable in our space?

1 Like

Yes i think so

1 Like

That’s a design a friend of mine stole from the internet. It looks simple enough to to replicate. He uses a HEPA bag and a filter on the vac itself and changes it about once a year (home use). The bucket-top separator does pretty good. The rest is just plywood and pvc pipe. Not sure what brand the separator is, but I can ask him.

2 Likes

That’s the Dustopper kit from Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dustopper-High-Efficiency-Cyclonic-Dust-Separator-12-in-Dia-with-2-5-in-hose-36-in-long-with-2-Sweep-Elbows-HD12A/315749552

2 Likes