Blackest black paint

Could we make some?
Stuff’s expensive!
@URUKim

There is a way to make black black paint from old tires but I don’t know the exact process

1 Like

There are legitimate reasons for the most extremely absorbent coatings (and finishes), but only for limited uses.

So, for example, a film camera body may need to minimize internal reflection more when used for very long exposures of when very high contrast is present in the image. Spending $$$$ per pint of varta black isn’t unreasonable if you’re using a fraction of a teaspoon at a time and have multiple bodies to modify and can justify based on noticeably improve images and data.

Mostly, though I’m seeing people using extreme paints just to have impressive uniqueness. Often for bragging rights. If that’s all it’s for there a plenty of somewhat less pricey ways to get nearly there. But, that last few percent of absorption invariably is fragile. In a telescope tube or a camera body or a diffusion chamber the surfaces are pretty protected. But making automotive sheet metal disappear isn’t ever going to last very long.

What’s the use case you have in mind?

1 Like

Definitely don’t need the last few percent, was wanting to create the illusion of deep dark space in what’s really a fairly shallow recess posing as a window

I want to paint a room with it and sound proof it. No light, no sound… just a comfortable chair.

···

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022, 07:58 Aaron Rivers via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| squarenuts MakeICT Board Member, Woodshop Area Lead
October 7 |

• | - |

Definitely don’t need the last few percent, was wanting to create the illusion of deep dark space in what’s really a fairly shallow recess posing as a window

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Make the room round and you’ll never find your way out!

Spherical.

It would be my time out room.

Migraine headache rooms are an actual thing. There was one in a house on my block. It really surprised the landlord when the renters moved out.

1 Like

Any higher quality ultra flat black should work. But, any thing that contacts the surface and burnishes it will leave a mark that looks lighter.

Also, to create the illusion of depth a darker, painted, fake shadow can really fool the eye convincingly if there’s a single actual light source.

1 Like