Belt sander switch broken again

I didn’t lock out the sander since it can be used by plugging it in and unplugging it, but if somebody deems that too unsafe feel free to do so. The switch is stuck in the on position again. Last time, maybe the last couple times, this happened, I suggested setting up a magnetic switch using a contactor arranged to be self latching. I still think this is a good idea as it would apparently be far more reliable.

Took the switch out and got it working again. I don’t know if the wires get in the way and cause the switch to not toggle or what, but it seems like a better switch might be a good idea.

BTW, here’s a more correct manual for the model 30 belt/disc sander.1942.pdf (3.2 MB)

1 Like

Belt sander switch is broken, again. Not sure if it was ever truly fixed from the May 22nd post but the switch was off when I used the machine and, again, wont switch off. I have an extra switch at home I can bring and swoop it out if that’s ok? I know we are always looking to upgrade to a safer switch when replacing, but can we go ahead a switch it out anyway?

I’ve never gotten anybody to buy off on replacing the switch with a better one. If you pull the switch out, you’ll see why it stops working. There’s a piece that gets slightly hung up and then won’t go over center. I:d like to put a magnetic switch in for hopefully improved reliability and certainly safety.

What is the amp requirement for the switch?

Does anyone have an issue if I purchased and installed the switch?

POWERTEC 71007 110/220V Paddle Switch, 3 HP

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00KPEEPAW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2JCF57XBS4E256JFWJ2C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I’d have no problem upgrading to a better switch. As you know, this is far from the first time the switch has failed. Maybe leadership will say ok this time.

1 Like

As of July 1, that’s you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should have specified, woodshop leadership! :wink:

2 Likes