Anybody want an Orchid

Anyone with a green thumb want a potted Orchid, It was a Valentine’s day gift from my wife, and It’s survived since then but it’s clear I’m slowly killing it, and I feel bad, so if anyone is interested in giving it a new life.

4 Likes

Ill give it a home or can help you trouble shoot whats wrong. I have kept orchids for years

4 Likes

It’s one of those “Just Add Ice” orchid, I felt like that don’t sound like a good plan, so I looked up online decided it wasn’t and I’ve just been pouring water on the “roots” instead of using ice.

It’s leaves are still green and seem healthy but everything else seems sick.

1 Like

It really doesn’t look that bad. You were correct ice is not good. How long have you had it? Can you take a pic with a better look at the various roots? Occasionally repotting is helpful

1 Like

I’ve had it since Valentines day this year.

1 Like

You can cut off the completely brown roots with any clean sharp scissors.

It may benefit from repotting in fresh orchid bark. The pot should have a drain hole.

If the leaves start to shrivel a bit then it’s too dry, and frequent misting of roots may help.

If this is a phalaenopsis, then it prefers cool (65°) temps with north windows.

Watering using a dilute balanced fertilizer, like one meant for African violets at the every watering concentration, is best from what I know.

There’s a retired veterinarian in Sedgwick who’s an orchid society judge I know. I keep meaning to hit her up for more education.

2 Likes

Well that at least takes care of my worry that it was too cold, we try to keep it around that temp in our place year rought, it may have been too hot then we’ve had problems with the AC this year.

2 Likes

Your orchid looks pretty good. You were right about no ice. They prefer room temp water. No bright light. They hate the sun even through a window. Like @Sherry said use sterilized scissors to trim off dried shriveled brown roots. Looks like some healthy new roots growing. Youre doing great with your orchid. Its in a good home with you.

2 Likes

Oh shit!!! I have it right in front of a south facing window, cuz there was no other place in the house with light. We love our blackout curtains.

2 Likes

Mine are in the bathroom. I have a spa tub with a window. They love it. Just enough light and lots of himidity

2 Likes

Yeah I live in a townhouse, so the windows are, kitchen, and the 2 bedrooms those are your choices, south facing kitchen window at least puts it somewhere I will remember to water it.

2 Likes

Keep it in the kitchen just not in the window, maybe?

3 Likes

You would be surprised how little light they need. A counter away from the window or a table the light from the window reaches and youll be fine.

2 Likes