Any mural advice?

Hey all, I’ve volunteered to help with a mural at my husband’s workplace, and I wanted to see if anyone had any sort of advice to offer? If I could find someone I could message with or text, that would be great.

Some of the info I’m inquiring about is:

-when its appropriate to sand a wall and what grit if so
-whether its necessary to prime a wall or not
-whether latex paint is appropriate underneath acrylic paint/if it will cause any issues

This wall is indoors in a hallway, and the workplace has bought materials already including rollers, brushes, tape, tins, aprons, acrylic paint in varying colors, and latex paint for primer. I came in late to this project so I had no say in the materials, but they have assured me that if I need anything else, they will pay for it.) Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

1 Like
  1. Clean the Wall: Start by cleaning the wall thoroughly to remove any dust, dirt, or grease. Use a mild detergent and water solution or a wall cleaner appropriate for the surface.
  2. Repair Any Damage: Inspect the wall for any cracks, holes, or imperfections. Patch up these areas using spackling paste or joint compound. Allow it to dry completely, and then sand the patched areas smooth.
  3. Prime the Surface: Apply a coat of primer to the entire wall. This will help the mural adhere better and ensure consistent absorption of paint. Use a primer suitable for the type of wall surface you’re working on (e.g., drywall primer for drywall).
  4. Sketch or Outline the Mural: Before painting, it’s helpful to sketch or outline your mural design directly onto the primed wall. You can use chalk, a pencil, or light paint to do this. This step allows you to plan out the composition and make any adjustments before committing to the final painting.
  5. Select High-Quality Paints: Choose high-quality paints suitable for indoor use and compatible with the wall surface. Acrylic paints are a popular choice for indoor murals because they dry quickly, have vibrant colors, and are easy to work with.
  6. Paint the Mural: Once your outline is ready, start painting your mural. Use brushes, rollers, or spray paint depending on the details and scale of your design. Take your time and apply multiple thin coats for better coverage and depth of color.
  7. Protect the Mural (Optional): If you want to protect your mural from damage or fading, you can apply a clear coat sealer or varnish once the paint has dried completely. This step is particularly important if the mural is in a high-traffic area or might be exposed to moisture.
  8. Final Touches: After sealing (if applicable), step back and inspect your mural for any touch-ups or final adjustments. Make any necessary corrections and allow the paint to dry completely before touching or moving anything near the mural.
2 Likes

There’s an overhead projector in the garage. You can project your image on the wall and trace it

2 Likes

Thank you Brad^^ they have said that the prep is something I won’t have to do lol so that’s nice hahaha. Now I have a list to give them! :grin:

1 Like

Oh thank you Thad! I’ll have to find the form for renting MakeICT property but its helpful to know its there! :smile:

1 Like

To take something from the space (unless it is for a MakeICT project) you have to have a board vote. But, I have one at my house that you could just borrow. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you LaDeana, I’ll take you up on that! I’ll be at the space tomorrow for 3D printing group, Thursday for the Board meeting, Friday for the Events Meeting, and Saturday to meet with you and Kim lol. Busy week! :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll try and remember it for board meeting.

2 Likes