Another Newb self-identifies

Hi all, I’m Owen. My wife and I have been in Wichita 19 yrs, I’ve worked in the aviation industry for 33. So I’m super old, but I’m always interested in learning new stuff.

My initial interest in MakeICT was to learn welding and metalwork so I can build a custom suspension for my antique motorhome - UltraVan #500 (or as I sometimes call it “The Tindenburg”). UltraVans are a small motorhome built in Hutchinson from 1966-1970. There were only 376 made but they are scattered all over North America and Europe. I picked one up in FL about 5 yrs ago and have been working on it since. Here’s its website: http://instantlobster.com/UV500/

Eventually I can see applications for almost all of the MakeICT areas that would apply to my project. And the other areas that I haven’t yet figured out how they apply are just plain fascinating! I mean, there’s got to be something I can make for the coach on a 3D printer…

Anyway, I’m a bit of a wallflower but I plan to help with moving and building out the (eventual) new space, and just let my involvement sort of organically grow as I get to know people while working and hanging out.

Safe travels,
Owen

9 Likes

Hi, Owen! Welcome to Make ICT! Love your project vehicle! Hope to see you around the makerspace

2 Likes

I’ve had several vehicles that could be described that way. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Really cool looking RV, but I just couldn’t help myself…

3 Likes

How about this instead?

2 Likes

Welcome Owen I am so digging that awesomeness van!! Look forward to seeing you and hope your woodworking for that 1901 home is going well.

1 Like

Thanks! 1901 home resto sounds fascinating, but it’s not me. Another Owen maybe?

Sorry I guess I didn’t look good at the picture. But anyway welcome hope to see ya around!! Still dig that van i grew up in hutch so it was interesting to hear they came from there.

1 Like

Hi Owen!
Welcome to the makerspace.
Ya… you are not that old dude :slight_smile: … I got ya beat by a few years.

2 Likes