Aluminum casting

I really want to do some small sized metal castings or find someone who can and wont charge a fortune. So far i havent had much luck. Has anyone explored the idea of being able to do this at the space?

1 Like

Define ‘small’.

I have a friend in Andover that does some. He’s still pretty new but it’s been fun to pour liquid metal into a thing and gave it come out a different shape. I can see if he’d be willing to work with you too cast your items.

As far as the space goes, many of the same hurdles that the forge has faced will be the same for casting. But noise should be lower overall. Dean is I believe the resident expert on casting.

1 Like

I will reiterate the above define small?

The Jewelry Lab is exploring casting, if you check the West wall there are two casting systems there.

I have been on casting teams pouring Iron, Bronze and Aluminum in 100 to 1000 lb. casting sessions at Wichita State University.

I have two requirements Safety, and the ability to get results needed when casting.

I would note that the insurance issues can be resolved when approached in the proper manor.

1 Like

“small” i want to make aluminum casts of rubber duckies. so about the size of a house wren-ish.

1 Like

i also did casting at wsu, aluminum and bronze. a coke furnace for iron was just conversation level with Barry when i was there .

Good; we need to start with a class on lost wax gating, and investment molding. i respect Barry, and the coke furnace is very real.

2 Likes

Totally. Lost wax casting is the easiest, however a bit messy way to cast things. It would be nice to see if we could get Barry to come in and help out as well as Atwood. Perhaps reach out to those in the ceramics wing for insight too. There are many videos on YouTube for building a small smelting furnace. A burnout kiln is also a must need. If you need to find me, I can be found in the woodshop.

1 Like

I would like to try lost PLA casting.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/h6kh2RJl1dQ

Nice video on silver casting

1 Like

I would love to do something like this too.

1 Like