Air compressor

Started making popping noise and I tried to shut off switch it would not shut off so I unplugged it and tagged it

2 Likes

@rustin.atkeisson tagged to inform

Malissa… you don’t have to tag me on every metalshop related item.

Thanks for letting me know Frank, I’ll take a look at it in the morning, unfortunately, that means a lot of equipment will be down in the mean time.

2 Likes

Better to tag it and possibly have a minor repair than to keep running it and destroy the compressor motor I suspect it is in the box that turns it on and off when I tried to shut it off it would not shut off maybe the popping noise was from overpressure relief valve doing its thing because compressor kept running IDK

2 Likes

Right on ‘tagging’ the air compressor. That’s a big tool we don’t want down for long.

That being said, the air compressor is up and running.

I was not able to recreate the popping or extended run time. I cleaned out the air filter, drained out the moisture from the blue filter, and blew out all the black dust that was in the motor. I also took the cover off the contactor and cleaned out the dust from it as well. I did not notice any signs of the contactor over heating.

Everything seems fine with the air compressor, and it took less than 10 seconds for it to get up to pressure and shut off.

Below is a shot of the contactor/switch.

4 Likes