Advice re: stuff I want to make for the ren faire?

I have this bad habit of trying to figure everything out on my own, but that’s been tried this time to no avail, so here’s a request for help!

I love these…rings? Guess I’ll call them rings. But I’m at a loss for how to achieve this shape. It would take a crap ton of hammering on the anvil to do it, and I think my hands would give out before it’s done. Maybe the hydraulic press could do it, but there I’m unsure about what to put in it to achieve this tight curve.

Any suggestions?

3 Likes

I’m certainly no expert, but I would guess that those are cast rather than hammered or pressed.

4 Likes

Probably.

I would initially approach it by welding three rings together and then cutting away what I dont want. But doing this on the forage would be my endgame if I was doing them ‘proper’ in my mind. Casting them would be the easiest. Probably 3d print and smooth it out, then sandcast it.

Isnt that the bad guys emblem in conan the barbarian?

···

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023, 09:08 Christian Kindel via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Christian MakeICT Member
March 29 |

• | - |

I’m certainly no expert, but I would guess that those are cast rather than hammered or pressed.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

4 Likes

Well, I can’t cast, but I can probably weld rings together and then cut away what I don’t want-- then grind to smooth the edges out, which would be less pressure than usual because it would be a benefit for them to look old and banged up.

And sorry, but I haven’t seen Conan in decades, so…

2 Likes

Does it absolutely have to be metal or just look like it.

3d printing?

It absolutely has to be metal.

2 Likes

They look very similar to cloak pins.

1 Like

You could easily make something that “LOOKED” like those in ceramics and use one of the metallic glazes. You would achieve the look and shape but it wouldn’t be as sturdy. My other suggestion is talk to Scott the Fabrics lead. He is an awesome blacksmith and belongs to a forge in Haysville. Also try Dean Day, he works in advance sculpting at WSU and they do pour castings. Thats a super easy design to pour cast. Hope something I said is useful or points you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Those definitely look like sand castings. You might touch base with Scot though, those look a lot like one of the monthly items from the Haysville blacksmith shop.

That might be something that could quickly be made with some 3/8in round rod and then tack welding the overlapping coils together after forming.

4 Likes

That would be my choice, but I don’t know how to form it.

1 Like

3/8 rod, taper the ends. Heat the taper then start the hooks by doing a loose scroll started on the tip of an anvil horn or with pliers/tongs with each hook facing the same direction, then heat your center and hammer it around the anvil horn working around until it hits the spot/size your after… I’d probably skip the welding all together and try a rivit to join it on the overlap. Might be able to do it with a rosebud torch on the oxy/act welder instead of a full blown forge.

3 Likes

I have made a few of there over the years in with a hammer and anvil, but “troll crosses” could be made with round stock mild steel (or other metals) tapered on a grinder and then heated up with a torch and bent to shape with either a turning fork or scrolling tongs.

6 Likes

I can’t use the torch-- I haven’t been trained on it. But I did pick up some large steel rings at The Yard, so hopefully those will work. Thanks, all.

3 Likes

Or just get trained on the torch.

Might be a nice process to add to your toolbag that allows some new design choices.

I’m guessing a can of map gas won’t do the trick?

Honestly, now that I know them as troll crosses, I love them even more.

3 Likes

Btw g, i love your work and would like to learn from you when my time frees up.

···

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023, 15:20 James Seymour <james.a.seymour@makeict.org> wrote:

Or just get trained on the torch.

Might be a nice process to add to your toolbag that allows some new design choices.

I’m guessing a can of map gas won’t do the trick?

Honestly, now that I know them as troll crosses, I love them even more.

2 Likes

Thanks, James!

I’m pretty sure I requested a class on the torch a while back but didn’t see one added. So I requested again just now. I’d really like to learn for all sorts of projects.

1 Like