Additional Space Possibilities

I saw this post on FB Market Place. Two construction job trailers. Very reasonably priced. I know people have talked about a Spray Booth Space to do powder coating etc.etc. Could one of them be turned into a spray booth? Maybe a maker with property wants to convert it into a AIR BNB on their property. Could make a tiny home for someone, maybe a hunting cabin. I just saw the post, thought the price is right and there are possibilities to be had. It’s “JUST” ideas I’m throwing out here. Redirecting...

5 Likes

I checked with city of wichita on those big cargo containers and they told me i was not allowed to have it on my property except by a 30 day permit for temporary loading.

This kinna erked me because they are super durable and would make great storage.

4 Likes

I have 2 40 ft shipping containers on my property and have for about 6 years now. A neighbor a block over has 4. While it is agaist their code they do not enforce it unless they are un sightly. I normally have code enforcment write me up a time or two for having heavy equipment in my driveway but they have never said anything about the containers.

While i dont think the trailer for sale would be a good fit for make ictz i do believe we could have a shipping container which would be much more secure and safe if we went thru the process with the city for allowing it.

I think the garden area would acutally benefit the most from a 20-40ft container for storage.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how we got on the subject of shipping containers exactly. Did you go to the site and look at them? These are NOT shipping containers, They are CONSTRUCTION trailers, on wheels, like a mobile home with windows and doors built in. They were used as an office on building sites. Once job was over they hooked to a truck and drove it to the next job site. These are small trailers on a frame with wheels ready to drive off. Are small trailers considered the same as shipping containers? They seem more like they would fall under travel trailer or mobile home. They are like 8ftx10ft or something along that size.

2 Likes

I agree we need some outdoor storage space for the garden area. As far as shipping containers go there are several turned into one bedroom apartments near S. Laura Hyde Park area. They are stacked on top of each other. I think there is 6-8 units. There is also Revolutia on E. Central made from multiple containers.

2 Likes

For their intended purpose for code enforcement they are the same. It would be a semi permanent structure in the eyes of the city despite having wheels. While there are major differences in code enforcement for the two. In this case they are the same. It would be put in one spot and sit. I was stating a shipping container is much better in a few ways for storage or even use. They are stronger, more rugged and potentially fire resistant. Much harder to break into. Those job site trailers need a lot of work typically which is why they are cheap.

3 Likes

Kind of reminds me of grade school they had 2 single wide trailers brought in for extra classrooms

3 Likes

During the metalshop meetup, we found out we needed a concrete pad for the dust collector that is currently under the blue tarp.

We are needing a fairly big pad for the dust collector, and I had a feeling that if it was built and a shade was put around it to meet our zoning requirements, that it would ultimately be used by other groups (like the garden) for equipment storage.

Would it be worth making an enclosure slightly larger than needed (maybe a 10x15) to help store some of the stuff currently in the boiler room? I would have to look and see if we would need to pull any permits on this as well as figure out additional funding.

4 Likes

Wheelbarrows and the long tools, some wire fencing, hoses in the winter. The plastic would store best in the cooler boiler room, and the seed starting area is best a little climate controlled as well. The potting supplies make the most sense where seeds would be started.

3 Likes

Also putting the compressor with the dust collector outside makes a lot of sense, as we spoke about last night, especially because this blaster will require a much larger (noisier) compressor. It would be nice to see how much scfm the manufacturer reccomends.

Also–how big can we build without having to get a permit etc? @squarenuts , did you ever look into this?

4 Likes