Acrylic Thermoforming Oven

I’m building a thermoforming oven for a personal project but won’t have a ton of use for it beyond the single part I need and occaisional copies for others. It will be 48"x72", probably 220V @ 40Amps with a PID controller.

Any chance the space could use it? It could probably do double duty as a screen print shirt dryer or maybe something else.

1 Like

That’s a pretty big footprint. How tall is the machine and can it be leaned up against the wall?

That sounds like a pretty serious power supply. How thick of material were you forming with it?

I know we have a small thermoformer that gets occasional use… But I may have a large personal project that might make use of that kind of setup. :wink:

I haven’t built it yet, but it’s for forming 1/4" sheet. There are a few design options but they each have drawbacks. I’ll probably build it as an insulated box with tall walls so I can heat from the bottom or the top. Bottom heating seems to be preferred when under powered, and best I can find is a minimum of 500 watts per square foot, so I would need 12000 watts. 220x40 is only 8,800.

I built this one last year but sold it when I moved and never got to use it. Worked pretty well as a space heater though…

3 Likes

There is a 50a 220v circuit in the hot shop currently only being used by the powder coating oven.

If the box could hit 200c, that might end up making for a pretty massive powder coating oven. Lol

3 Likes

Thats actually what the guy who bought my first one it is using it for. I’ll build it with that dual use in mind, maybe set on its side with some rods that can be installed for hanging, turn it over to use for acrylic. Or hang the acrylic sheet vertically in the oven.

8 Likes