ACM Panels on Laser

Has anyone had experience with ACM “Aluminum Composite Material” Panels on the Lasers? I have purchased some for my Vorons to replace some of the acrylic sheets and was looking for any advice.

The ACM panels I have are basically a .118" sandwich board. The outer layers are .008" Aluminum with a Solid Polyethylene Core.

https://www.piedmontplastics.com/resources/literatures/piedmont-sign-gradeR-alupolyR

Thanks!

2 Likes

I use 36 gauge aluminum in my sewing and I’ve been wanting to test it as well. I just keep forgetting to ask or bring any to test.

1 Like

You could probably do a good engraving by removing the polyester paint with the laser: Polyester - Laser Cutting and Engraving Polyester | ULS

I don’t think you’ll have any luck getting through the aluminum if you tried to cut it, and even if you did, Polyethylene tends to melt on the laser rather that cut cleanly, so you would likely not get a good result.

The Shopbot is probably more appropriate if you want to cut it.

2 Likes

The wattage on the laser isn’t high enough to get thru the aluminum. Reading up on the ShopBot it doesn’t appear that it could route these out as it’s more designed toward softer woods. I will probably get them routed thru my friend at TenFab Works.

Once I get the design defined, I will probably reach out for assistance to make sure I’m doing it correctly.

1 Like

I have cut Altoids tins on the laser. But that is both painted and wasn’t our laser.

As a side note I got two tins mixed around. So I infact have cut Altoids with a laser. More of a fun fact than useful. Also… don’t do that.

···

On Fri, May 5, 2023, 16:47 Christian Kindel via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Christian MakeICT Member
May 5 |

• | - |

You could probably do a good engraving by removing the polyester paint with the laser: Polyester - Laser Cutting and Engraving Polyester | ULS

I don’t think you’ll have any luck getting through the aluminum if you tried to cut it, and even if you did, Polyethylene tends to melt on the laser rather that cut cleanly, so you would likely not get a good result.

The Shopbot is probably more appropriate if you want to cut it.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

The plasma cutter can cut aluminum.

1 Like

True but plasma cutters usually cut so hot they deform softer materials. This is very thin aluminum sheets covering Solid Polyethylene Core. If this were thicker with a honeycomb interior like we use for Aircraft it would probably be a via solution.

3 Likes

A 36 gauge aluminum is the thickness of a coke can and will not survive the plasma cutter. That’s over kill.

1 Like

Ive spray painted metal, ceramic, and other various materials with acrylic paint that you get from big box stores like krylon fusion. It etched really nicely

Also powder coated stuff

2 Likes