A fun little pattern

I am by no means an expert but I know how to import an image into the software and have it auto generate a fill stitch. I made something up quickly and am stitching it out now just to see. Do you or @ladeana want me to email the .pes? I may be in tomorrow or Sunday and can bring it on a usb then.

1 Like

I need to play around with the letters because the fill there looks sloppy but it’s not half bad for my first attempt at digitizing.

7 Likes

Not bad at all!

For back to looking at other software and Inkstitch seems to be work a lot better than modifying things, so that’s what I’m going to suggest for people to use in general.

After some trimming and resetting to default, that’s basically directly out of inkscape. (Pretty much load SVG, (rotated) then File save copy (Type: Inkstitch → PES)

The machine at MakeICT does not do trims except for thread changes. Seems to be a bother machine thing as @ladeana brought in her machine to test as well. (The commands are in the file. There was the idea of below some distance being converted to jumps, but even from basically lower left to upper left didn’t trigger it, so that’s not it.)

4 Likes

Sign me up for having this on a shirt. What would someone charge for doing it, assuming the shirt is provided by me?

1 Like

It’s an under $1000 machine thing. Some bells and whistles don’t come cheap or free.

T shirts are hard to hoop and keep stable. I worked in a drapery workroom in Austin we were being charged $25 per shirt for 3 letters, 7 years ago. The owner decided to buy a used machine and do it in house. I figured out the process, made notes on how to do it with pictures,and what stabilizer to use. No one, but me was able to create a stable un-puckered design on the knit. Hooping and keeping Polo shirt knit in the hoop was difficult because of the thickness with the stabilizer.

1 Like

About 5 years ago, I ordered a few Polo shirts with our logo for myself from Queensboro. Looks like they were $27.95 each, but were very good quality and the embroidery was top notch. Not quite the same as DIY, but if anyone is interested, I can pass the contact info along.

1 Like

Great job! I love the idea of free software and had no idea it even existed. I was gifted embird some years ago and don’t really recommend it. It is clunky and lacking in support, etc.

When playing with the software yesterday, there’s actually a line in the command that tells it to jump. Perhaps the software didn’t add a proper “stop” and “jump” between the objects?

There are machines that trim these jump stitches, but it is determined by length and I think they have to be jump stitches that are larger than 5mm. I don’t have a machine that does this as they are expensive, but can “trick” mine by adding color stops/changes between each item. This is more of a pain than it’s worth for me so I don’t do it often.

1 Like

So now we can make patches? Like merit badges?

I always wanted a set of MakeICT and Integra patches with magnets on the back like the fancy nametags so I can LOOK like I’m wearing an embroidered shirt, but really I’m just swapping out the embroidered part to different shirts.

Really opens up the possibility of work wear at that point.

···

On Sat, Sep 10, 2022, 07:01 Laura Patterson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| LauraP MakeICT Member
September 10 |

• | - |

Great job! I love the idea of free software and had no idea it even existed. I was gifted embird some years ago and don’t really recommend it. It is clunky and lacking in support, etc.

When playing with the software yesterday, there’s actually a line in the command that tells it to jump. Perhaps the software didn’t add a proper “stop” and “jump” between the objects?

There are machines that trim these jump stitches, but it is determined by length and I think they have to be jump stitches that are larger than 5mm. I don’t have a machine that does this as they are expensive, but can “trick” mine by adding color stops/changes between each item. This is more of a pain than it’s worth for me so I don’t do it often.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| jameslancaster MakeICT Board Member
September 10 |

• | - |

Not bad at all! For back to looking at other software and Inkstitch seems to be work a lot better than modifying things, so that’s what I’m going to suggest for people to use in general. [20220909_212243] After some trimming and resetting to default, that’s basically directly out of inkscape. …

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl: The military does this with Velcro!

1 Like

I’m am painfully aware. I was stationed in Germany when they went from acus to bdus. Had one soldier that could not get them on straight. I’d line them up before shift and by pippens pursestrings his was setup like a soup sandwich. He’s a staff sergeant last I heard.

I thought about velcro too actually… as well as other companies. Like umbrella, apature science… even ones like Bob’s mortuary you stab 'em we slab 'em…

About the third time they see the same shirt with a different company on it they would start to get wise… which is fine.

···

On Sat, Sep 10, 2022, 07:19 Laura Patterson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| LauraP MakeICT Member
September 10 |

• | - |

:rofl::rofl:The military does this with Velcro!

In Reply To

| james.a.seymour Director of Pansophy and ERP Area Lead
September 10 |

• | - |

So now we can make patches? Like merit badges? I always wanted a set of MakeICT and Integra patches with magnets on the back like the fancy nametags so I can LOOK like I’m wearing an embroidered shirt, but really I’m just swapping out the embroidered part to different shirts. Really opens up the p…

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Yes we could make patches. (Like girl scouts… or boy scouts.)
Dabbler patch for someone who does one class from each area, for example.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. Patches for each area you are authorised in too.

1 Like

I used to make nerdy keychains and adult merit badges to hand out to friends for excelling in mediocrity. :rofl:

9 Likes

Sorry for this really late reply, but I wanted to follow up with @jameslancaster @LauraP @ladeana to see if the card and the reader/writer is available for use? I’m interested in playing with Ink/Stitch to experiment with some embroidery.

3 Likes

I don’t have any experience with that machine but I am happy to give advice on embroidery in general or stabilizers, etc. If I can.

3 Likes

I was about to chime in the same thing. I have an embroidery business, absolutely no knowledge about that machine or software. But I can share what I know about stabilizers, hooping, thread choices if needed.

4 Likes

Thanks! And answering my own question, yes, the drive and card are there in a box labeled PED Basic.

I’ll bring my laptop next time and see if I can get the hardware to work!

5 Likes

If you run into problems, you might reach out to @SteveO because he was working with it recently.

3 Likes

If you need any assistance, let me know.

There is a piece of paper in the packet with a URL that you can download the driver and software to get it to work on your machine. It is very straight forward, as long as you have the PES file already.

If you don’t have the PES file, this is not what you are looking for.

4 Likes