A Christmas Present

hi all its been a few years since i was able to afford the fees and i know its last minute but i need some help in repairing a belt-buckle for my partners Christmas gift. would anyone be able to sell me a metal piece to attach the buckle to the leather of the belt? its a near rectangle piece and randomly broke this morning. if anyone here is willing to make one or has a spare that would fit please contact me by txt or call my phone number is 316 932 4243 i would love any assistance that could be offered this break has done in the Christmas gift plan royally.

3 Likes

ps: if i put this in the wrong space please let me know!

1 Like

I moved it to Jewelry Labs space. As belt buckles can vary different on how they attach to the belt can you provide an image?

1 Like

Yeah, need a visual. Hard to say if it’s possible without seeing what we’re working with.

3 Likes

whoops sorry. here’s a picture of it

1 Like

here’s an image to clarify the location of the break

2 Likes

It looks to be brass or bronze. If we had a jewelery tack welder it would be a quick fix, barring that we could try soldering them together but im not sure if i have brass/bronze solder.

@JohnM Any ideas?

2 Likes

Soft solder is the only thing I’ve got. I don’t recommend it bc of high lead content. :frowning: laser weld would work but no jeweler is going to take in a last-minute repair this close to Christmas.

1 Like

I’d look online for belt components. Finding a new piece that could be modified will probs last longer than repairing the old one. What are the dimensions for this?

2 Likes

Heck, we could even fabricate a replacement component out of brass. Let me noodle on this tomorrow am after some coffee :joy:

2 Likes

I suppose we could, I -think- i have some bronze casting grain we could draw out. If not @deanday probably has a few grams to spare to make a stick.

3 Likes

Or just snag some brass from Ace Hardware. That should hold up nicely for this.

2 Likes

@MAtherton are you going to be at the makerspace today? I have a method in mind and we can knock it out.

Edit- were shooting for Friday evening. I will snag a small piece of brass that should work for this. I’ll show a method of how cutting/soldering can shape wire into a form that’s close to this one.

3 Likes

Years ago you could buy brass rod for brazing with an acetylene. Could use one to make a new piece.

3 Likes

So Friday we’ll try it out? Sounds like a plan.

2 Likes

Thanks to @deanday for coming up with a solution using the steel from a welding rod! The brass I brought in wasn’t going to work, but Dean came to the rescue. It ended up working out nicely and should hold up long-term.

7 Likes

to everyone that helped out thank you so much for the assist! Pat has greatly appreciated the new belt and repaired buckle for Christmas, and i have enjoyed the smiles he had when the gift was opened. looking forward to joining in the new year!

6 Likes