3D printer help

Is there anyone who can help me get my 3d printer going i got an ender 3 pro i installed a BIGTREETECH SKR Mini E3 V3.0 Control Board + TFT35 E3 V3.0.1 and a upgraded sprite hot end i cant get them to play nice together.

****Cricket’s ****

On average, when I was checking the stats, we had less than 50 members a week checking the forum directly and there’s no way to find out, that I’m aware of, how many get a digest in their email daily and respond from there.

2 Likes

Which firmware did you install?

Could you be more specific than “don’t play nice”? Tad too general.

Oh, double check wiring correct.

Blockquote

2 Likes

Used the stock firmware that was on the board.

Im getting an error message that i have a thermal runout on hot end

Checking wiring, is my weak area.

Yeah, I’d check that the thermistor is properly connected and not broken. If you have a multimeter you can check the resistance; should be around 100k. Check at each connector in the line, it could be a bad plug.

Do you get the error immediately when turning on the machine, or does it happen when attempting to heat it up?

1 Like

Happened about 8 seconds after i fire it up and immediately if i try to reset

Is the thermistor unidirectional or bidirectional in lieu of wiring?

There’s no polarity on thermistors. They are just resistors that change resistance significantly with temperature.

1 Like

If you have “Craftsman Hands” like I do, the thermister is delicate, especially the bubble type.

That would be the educated guess. Be sure to unplug the machine, eventually we learn the hard way…

3 Likes

This is very true.

1 Like

I’m going to be in the Fab Lab tonight at 7:30 if you’re still having issues and want to drag it in.

Would love too but i dont get off till 8pm do you have any time sat or sun ?

Yeah, I’ll be teaching a 3D printing class 2:00-4:00 on Saturday and then I’m planning to go to the game night at 5:00. So if you’re around between 4:00 and 5:00 we could take a look at it.

1 Like

Sounds great I plan to be there Thanks I appreciate it

For anyone interested, we did get this fixed on Saturday. When Frank brought it in we saw that when the power was turned on the hotend immediately started heating despite the temperature being set to zero. This would cause a MAXTEMP error when the temp crossed the firmware-definded threshold, but the heater would not shut off. My initial thoughts were bad firmware or the hotend MOSFET had failed short. After some head scratching about why reversing the heater wires caused the board to fail to power on (it is a resistive heater so polarity shouldn’t matter one bit) we found the root cause of the issue. This hotend has a breakout board on it for all of the plugs so that you can remove the hotend by disconnecting one cable. This is pretty neat (they may have “borrowed” the idea from Prusa’s upcoming Nextruder) but one very poor and unnecessary design choice was made: several of the plugs on the breakout board had a pin tied to a common ground. The heater was one of them, so if you reverse the heater wires it causes a short from +24V to ground on the controller. After discovering this we unplugged everything from the breakout board and re-plugged one by one, powering on and testing after each new connection. This process lead us to find that an extra cable had been plugged in to the z limit plug on the controller. This plug was actually just another unnecessary ground plug that was tied to the heater ground, so it was just bypassing the MOSFET contol on the low side of the heater circuit, causing the hotend to always be on at full power. With that one plug disconnected, the printer behaved as expected. Well, other than the fact that the hotend heatsink cooling fan turns on when the bed heats up instead of when the hotend heats, but that is an issue with the firmware loaded by the manufacturer. All in all it was an interesting issue and we had some fun tracking it down and fixing it and questioning the choices of whoever designed the hotend.

9 Likes

I did figure out that the extra z plug was to allow people different configuration options for the crTouch bltouch application
The two will cause errors if used in concert together. Huge thanks to Christian for your help!

5 Likes