3d print kit suggestions?

Mom is being generous and wants to buy me my first 3d printer, for Christmas. I’ll probably go with a single intrusion kit because they are obviously cheaper and I feel it would be a fun build project. Does anyone have a suggestion on a somewhat easy kit to build, that is decent in quality and is upgradable for quad extrusion?

I’ve been happy enough with my Creality CR-10. It is not a full-blown
kit, though there is a bit of minor assembly to do. While you don’t need
it right away, a raspberry pi on which you can install octoprint is a
useful addition.

Steve

1 Like

I have an older clone of a Creality Ender 2 and just bought a genuine Creality Ender 3 Pro. I also have a clone of a Prusa I3 mk2 in the house now. I’m very pleased with the Creality printers. Pretty rigid and easy to use. The Ender 3 doesn’t have a bootloader, so updates and settings changes are a little more challenging, but it works right of the box, so that’s not a big deal right now. Other Creality printers might not have that same concern. I bought this one because the price was right. The non-Pro is still a good printer but lacks the magnetic print bed. Not a huge deal, and in fact, I have found that some filaments just don’t want to stick to the build surface, though. I see no reason a piece of tempered glass couldn’t be used in those instances. Still something to consider, though. I’ve read that some people do that anyway even on the Ender 3 which does not have the removable, flexible, build surface.

Just FYI, we just got a new Stratasys Fortus 450MC at work. It is probably outside of your mom’s budget at almost $150k, though.

Dave

1 Like