3d PEI

I bought an ender 3pro months ago. These come with a flexible print bed.
I have changed my bed out twice due to damage warping, and general distortion.
I remember the prusa having a spring steel.

I found a spring steel bed with a PEI coating on it 235x235 it is amazing so far.

One of the positive side effects is the surface makes part almost glass like.

This was my first print no surface prep, no adhesive.

I had no problem removing it from print bed.
Will update if results change!

4 Likes

Saw this and thought of you Frank!

3 Likes

Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me too much. Those beds looked pretty cheesy to me. Glad you were able to find a better solution.

2 Likes

Lol love it ! Good one Cathy

1 Like

That would be the one I bought - if I get to that point I shall be picking your brain sir! :wink:

1 Like

Any time
I tell everyone hands down best bang for your buck creality ender 3 pro with upgraded bed.
It is reliable, less hassle, great company, and a personal favorite!
In addition there are a bunch of upgrades you can buy or even print. Which in my honest opinion (IMHO) is half the fun of having your own printer.
But if it is not for you the ender 3 v2 has a lot of the bells and whistles you might upgrade to in the future like glass bed, and 32bit silent run board to name a few!
They cost a bit more but they are a good looking printer.
Let me know if you need any additional advice id love :cupid: to help!

It’s been interesting to see the innovation in 3D printing. First was just a bed (maybe with Kapton?), then a heated bed. (Incidentally @TomM, one of MakeICT’s founding members, created one of the first pcb heaters.) Kapton tape was still the big thing when I got into it, with blue painters tape following up. Glass/metal beds with hairspray, flexible beds like the Printinz (which has been discontinued, and was easily damaged) and now PEI.

At this point I’m using hairspray + removable metal base + rubber mallet. Usually just requires a light tap. (Tried all the others but PEI)

I’m excited to see what the future may hold.

1 Like

There spring steel PEI sheets are the simplest, most reliable, cleanest, and hassle-free experience. I cringe a bit now thinking about some of the stuff we used to do and broken glass beds lol

I’m wanting to buy a small piece of spring steel trying to build my own magnetic plate for my resin printer. Like the wham bam.
I got the magnet just need steel any recommendations on what type of steel to use?