3-D Fashion Design

Hello,

My name is Thy Phan and I am currently working on a project for a fashion show. I would like to create the outfit using 3-D printing. As someone new to 3-D printing I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the best program to use for 3-D printing?
  2. What is the best video tutorials using that program?
  3. What is the best way to go about creating a skirt via 3-D printing?

Thank you ahead of time for your guidance!

2 Likes

I’m not a 3D printing expert but I love Iris van Herpen I believe she has made some of her files open source.

1 Like

Also sometime you can catch certain types of fabric in the print. It’s a bit of a trick but it can be done. (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2755451)

But there are some purely printed fabrics that are more akin to chainmail.

1 Like

I assume you’re talking about 3D design programs here, and not slicers. Unfortunately there is no answer to this question, since it depends a lot on the application and the forms you are trying to make. You’ll probably want a mesh modeling or sculpting program since your application is art/fashion. They are a lot more free-form than solid modeling programs designed for engineering CAD applications. Blender is a great open-source option. But depending on the design it is possible that a CAD program would be a more natural fit.

The tutorials that will be helpful for you also depend a lot on the specifics of what you are trying to do.

This depends again on what you are specifically going for, but here’s an interesting one that I’ve seen: Kinematics Dress - Nervous System. Flexible filaments are also a possibility. Regardless of the exact method you use, it will probably require connecting a bunch of smaller pieces in some way. Here’s a bit of info on 3D printed fabrics: https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printed-fabric-most-promising-project/ . There are a bunch of different ways that you could use 3D printing in the design of clothing.

These answers are probably not very satisfying. If you can give a little more info on how you are wanting to use 3D printing in your project that would help narrow down the right tools for the job.

2 Likes