2Q's Delrin on table saw? Dado blade setup?

So I have all the weird questions lately,

Have a big chunk of Delrin (Acetal) 1.5 in x 1.5 in x 12 in, needs a 41/64th x 1/2 slot down the length of it.

Dado blade seems the obvious, but I’ve never used one and don’t know how to set it up. I would need some help And is Delrin allowed to be used there, Looking up online it is machinable.

If im not mistaken delrin will trip the sawstop?

Let me check with shop lead.

1 Like

I’ve cut Delrin on the bandsaw, and the shavings cling to everything! I imagine it would be too static for the Saw Stop.

You can also cut it on the laser cutter, but at 1.5” thick you’d have to do a lot of passes and it may melt a fair bit around the edges.

2 Likes

Acetal machines very nicely. For ease, consider doing this on the mill/drill or if you have a pattern, the tracer mill, or if you want to stay in the woodshop, either the router table or the shopbot.

I don’t think it will be a problem here, but in general plastic requires a faster feed or lower speed in order to make a decent chip.

1 Like

Yeah I thought about the laser at first as I know it laser’s well, but digging out a 1/2 in deep channel 5/8’th wide and not cutting all the way thru, I knew the laser was not the right tool for that.

I had wondered about the mill, had the same questions if plastic would be allowed in the metal shop.
If that’s allowed it should be very easy to get the desired shape with an endmill. I wish I had some scrap to practice on.

Shop bot I ruled out cuz I can’t put any holes in it, thus I didn’t have a way to mount it, router table didn’t occur to me as I’ve never used one.

I can’t think of a reason not to use the mill/drill. Clamps and/or other fixtures will hold material on the shopbot without Holes in the work.

Do ensure the endmill you use is sharp. Many in the collection of tooling is not anything close to sharp.

Depending on how tight your tolerance is, it may be advisable to use a 3/8" and sneak up on the final dimension. Especially 4 flute tools can sometimes cut over size slots. If you want to practice, get a 2x4 and cut a slot in it.

I’ve got a bunch of delrin you can practice on. Yes, we’ve milled it before and unless something has changed should be fine.

1 Like

That sounds perfect, when could I meet up with you?

You available Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon?

Edit: Not Saturday after all. It’s the Asian Night Market!!! :yum:

1 Like

For just a straight slot, a hand held router along a clamped straight edge might be a simple solution.

4 Likes

Ok, I’ll see you sunday afternoon, before your class.

1 Like

depends on whether the work piece can be held securely. If it can’t be held in a vise, or blocked into some sort of fixture, it can become a projectile. 1.5x1.5" should be able to be held, though.

1 Like

Yeah, please don’t use the sawstop. Also, you must have the hazardous materials authorization to work it in the woodshop.
I agree, routing seems like a good way to go. Table would work well, handheld would be a bit more challenging, but doable.

3 Likes

I do have that.

2 Likes

Wound up doing it on the manual mill in metal shop, did my math wrong on sizing panicked and stopped thinking I had cut it too wide.

Turned out the tolerances weren’t that exacting and it worked just fine

Thanks everyone

5 Likes